Monday, March 2, 2009

You Are in My Spot

You know when you work out and about an hour or so later you feel like a million bucks? The nerds tell us it endorphins or something, I think it is just the fresh blood pounding through your brain, sort of like rinsing off all the dust and rust.
Anyway, I get that same feeling when I get into a conversation with a younger generation (there seems to be several of those now) about things that matter. I asked the question yesterday, "What worries you most about your spiritual journey?" Blank stares, or willful non-eye contact were the common reactions. But as I prompted and rephrased the question, there emerged a common theme, said in various ways, applied in various ways, but the same theme. The response? Where's my place in this world? Where do I fit in? These were folks as old as 25 and as young as 20 or so, some married, some divorced, some destined to be single for a while. As we discussed this feeling, it became apparent that they all shared it, they were all concerned about it, they didn't know what to do with it.
As we talked about it, it occurred to me that we all share this feeling at times, or in certain situations, but these folks were in a community of faith in which they should feel their place is assured. So, how does this happen? How can you have a group of people who feel marginalized, even though some of them had grown up with this group of people? How have we managed to develop large, complex, expensive communities of faith and isolated the group who make up its future?
Is this a cultural phenomenon? Most of these folks are looking for work (and are not being successful.) They are too old for the youth group, and too young for the "families" groups. I was stunned to realize there are 20 or 30 of these, who live locally, go to college, looking for work, looking for a place in this life.
I think those of us who are part of the "entitlement" generation need to move over, make room, listen to them...no, really listen to them. They are bright and funny and unsure. I've got to tell you, I like them. They respond to well-crafted stories, they are sensitive, they are wanting a place to belong, not because they feel they deserve it, but simply because it is something they have never had, but long for.
This may be start of a great leg on this journey. We will see.
Godspeed to all the ones who feel displaced, journeys are like that.
Don

No comments: