Tuesday, March 24, 2009

An Unexpected Turn

This past week I played golf with a friend in which this was our main point of contact. We had gone to the same church several years ago, but events and life changes moved both of us to a different place. We get along well, golf games have been similar, same basic stage in life, we give each other a hard time, but all in good fun. He would frequently invite others to play, I rarely did. I just enjoyed being with him. One story in particular stands out in my mind.
I had been invited to play a really nice club in North Dallas by a couple of guys who were typical North Dallas guys. They said, "bring a friend" So I invited my golf buddy.
Physically my friend and I are not "similar" He's black, I'm not. He's trim, I'm more density gifted. He dresses very well, always neat, I always look like I have slept in my clothes.
As usual my buddy was running late, the two North Dallas guys and I were already on the putting green, visiting, practicing, and waiting. My friend shows up and for the first time it hits me...these guys were not expecting a black guy. I almost laughed out loud, but could not resist the enjoyment I was getting out of seeing their discomfort (my bride claims this is a mark of immaturity on my part)
To their credit, though, they were gracious. So we began to play. I noticed on the about the second hole that my buddy and I had chosen outfits that made us look like we planned it. White polo shirt with navy stripes and khakis. So while one of the North Dallas guys was getting ready to putt, I put my arm across the shoulders of my buddy and exclaimed, "We have to start coordinating our golf outfits better, we look like twins!"
It broke us up, but as we laughed, I noticed the other two guys were caught, not knowing whether to laugh, or ignore it, or say something. Golf is so much fun.

My golf buddy owned his own business. He told me last week he was shutting it down to work for a big, national banking institution. A desk job. 9 to 5. No more weekday, run and gun, early golf games.
We played this past week with the feeling that we were at an end of an era. The road had turned, with him on one path and me on another. It made me sad. Will we still play some? Oh sure, but on weekends, or tournaments, and certainly not with the same frequency. I will miss the conversations about everything; family, God, church, work, stuff.
I have one or two friends that are closer, they share greater portions of my life, but I am at a stage in life where making new friends, starting new relationships just seems like a huge task. I'm also at a stage where the road through the front windshield is shorter than the one in the rear view mirror, it makes me wonder how many more "unexpected turns" there can be.
Besides, where am I going to find someone who can share my capacity for shooting in the mid-80's and occasionally sneak up on the century mark?

Oh well,
Godspeed.
Don

No comments: