Thursday, March 26, 2009

How Rude!

This was the day the lady comes who does the cleaning. I have not found a way to stick around when she is here, it is simply too uncomfortable for me. Man am I insecure.
So I go to Panera's for a mid-morning work, drink coffee, sneak a danish. The first hour goes great, computer cooperates, the place is virtually empty, I'm cruising along and getting a lot done. Then I had a scheduled conference call, which started out fine, but I realized the longer I talked, the harder it got to hear. Then I realized that the lunch crowd had arrived. Ambient noise was growing, I was having a harder and harder time hearing. A guy came in with his office staff and sat at the table right next to me, middle-aged guy and four younger women. Yak, yak, yak.

Hey! I'm working here!

Can't all you people see that important things are being discussed? Have you never heard of using "inside voices"?

Do you know who I am?!?

I had to laugh at myself. I have somehow become an old fogey. You know, the old guys with the baggy pants, black dress socks with tennis shoes, sweatshirt and khakis, muttering to themselves about all these whippersnappers. Impatience comes from a sense of entitlement, and man was impatience in full bloom this spring day.

So I finished my call, gathered up my stuff, and held the door open for a young family coming in the door. I wanted to stand up on the table and apologize for my thoughts. But how disconcerting would it be to have some old guy stand up and say, " It's okay, I apologize for being impatient with all you rude people."? For some reason it sounded more gracious in my head.

So Godspeed all you noisy diners, keep down a little, okay?
Don

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might get annoyed with all the noise but you will NEVER wear black socks with tennis shoes if Mom is still around!

Just don't get too cranky!

Love you-
Your youngest

Jordan said...

Thanks for not making any snide comments about moms with children dining out. I won't let you ruin Panera like you ruined Chik-fil-A!

I'm a little surprised that it surprised you that you've become an "old fogey"...the rest of us have known for years! :)

Anonymous said...

two things: 1 - i've got to start reading this on a regular basis. this is the first time i've been on since my first time, but i'm caught up! 2 - because one is annoyed at being unable to hear the conversation at his/her own table, due to what seems like a public address system being used to broadcast the goings on of the people at table beside them who seem to think that everyone else in the restuarant would be interested... well.... I'M not an old fogie!