Monday, September 7, 2009

Canton...Not Hall of Fame

This past Saturday my bride and I along with our son and D-in-L went to First Monday Trade Days in Canton Texas. For the uninformed, this is billed as the largest flee market in Texas..maybe the US? or the world? I'm not sure. My bride goes every month as far as I can tell, I hit about every third or fourth trip. I am usually invited when there is a pretty good chance something will be bought that is too big for the ladies to load by themselves. As was the case this time. My Amarillo daughter bought a dining table and a sofa table last month that had to be produced. They made arrangements for me to go get it this month. We convinced our D-in-L that they needed to go, in case they liked the table and wanted one as well, which they did. Now, it occurs to me that I may have to go back next month and help with that table, this is serious error in judgement on my part.

We spent the night at our son's house and got up early for a breakfast stop at Panera Bread and a road stop at Starbucks. Fortunately they are right around the corner from each other. It would be nice in these shifting economic times if they would merge..Panera food and Starbucks coffee. Of course the way the world works we would get Panera coffee and Starbucks food..or 7-11 as we know it.
On the road and since I couldn't help but give directions, we took the wrong highway and my bride got to use her handy-dandy new I-phone to get us back on track. She and I are being dragged against our will into the 21st Century. But we did get to see some nice countryside we wouldn't otherwise have explored.

A little late to Canton and my bride a little anxious to get at all the stuff spread out on 25 or 30 acres. She is like a little kid at Christmas time, dancing on one foot then another trying to drag us along as quickly as possible to the first booth, then slowing to a snail's pace, or shopping mode, while the guys kind of stand around and wait for each booth to be examined, item by item. We hit one booth that had a lot of frill and lace and necklaces. I remarked to my son that aside from his bride and mine, there was absolutely nothing in that booth that I had an interest in. That did not prevent some of the Jolly household income from taking residence there.

What I didn't realize was that my D-in-L was on a mission as well. She was looking for 6 chairs that apparently the only criteria was that they did not match. There was other criteria, I just didn't know what it was. I am fairly certain that there was maybe 2,937 chairs that match the description of "kitchen" chairs and we inspected at EVERY one. Two were selected (talk about "few will be chosen") on opposite sides of the 30 acres. My son carried one of them from the opposite side of the park to the truck.. Awww young love.

So we chowed down on corny dogs and lemonades, then loaded the two tables, the two chairs, two old steamer trunks, a old iron bedstead my bride wanted for a guest room, and four hot, sweaty and shopping satisfied Texans.
Fortunately for us the temperatures were only in the mid-90's so the day was pleasant, the company was great.. but man, I was whipped by the time I got home.
So if you are looking for almost anything and a lot of nothing, Canton Texas on the weekend that contains the first Monday of the month is the deal for you.
Godspeed,
Don

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I love your insight into Canton...I will making my trip in November, maybe you can come along and be the babysitter!

Anonymous said...

You know, I was on board with this blog until the last paragraph... You called me a Texan AND said a
mid-nineties day was 'pleasant'. Other than that, I agree. It was a great trip, we should do it again soon (I still need 4 chairs).
Your most favorite DIL