Wednesday, September 16, 2009

5 Issues

If you keep up with this blog you know I am in the midst of reading Foster's book Celebration of Discipline. I am now on the chapter on "Prayer" This time through I have decided to slow down and spend an extra week on it.
Below are 5 reasons why:

1. Prayer is the most overused, under-utilized discipline. We toss the phrase around to mean several different things from "I'm praying for you" means "I'm thinking about you." to "I'll pray for you because obviously you can't get out of the mess you are in with out me praying" No one intercedes like me.

2. I have stopped making lists. If I'm not deeply affected by what's going on in your life, that a list will help remind me, then someone who really cares for you needs to be doing the praying. Guess what? I don't need a list to pray for my bride or my kids or their kids. They all have enough in their lives that keeps me in constant prayer. People, events, circumstances are all important enough that a list is superfluous. Plus it is one more thing I have to keep up with.

3. It is much easier for me to teach about prayer, read about prayer, discuss prayer, think about prayer...than to pray. There would be a lot more good done in the Kingdom if we tossed the experts and simply prayed. What if our spiritual leaders simply looked at an issue, shrugged and said, "We'll pray over it, but right now and perhaps forever, we have no clue." There is great wisdom in confessing lack of knowledge.

4. Scripture is terribly inconsistent about prayer. The only aspect where scripture stays constant is the directive to do it. Do we pray for trivia? or do we wait until the prayer has substance? The case can be made either way.

5. Prayer is the one discipline that has brought me the greatest comfort and insight and provided the greatest test to my faith. I have felt God fold me close, and I have endured the thundering silence of unanswered prayer. Frankly, I find this frustrating.

If anyone out there on this journey would like to respond the floor is yours. I will write more later as I find my way through the chapter..again.

Godspeed
Don

1 comment:

Emily Bowmer said...

I am always inspired and awed by your thoughts and confessions! Prayer is one of the most rewarding and confounding things in the world. It's so easy, and yet, it's so hard! I enjoy prayer. It's therapeutic. I also dislike prayer because, sometimes, it seems so one sided. I have had many instances where I felt like I was whinning. I have felt pathetic and silly. But the one thing I have learned is that is just me. God never tells me I'm being those things. He never refuses to listen. He never tels me to go away. WOW! I don't know anyone else like that. I have struggled with not praying because I didn't want to waste God's time. I also stuggled with praying because I was angry and hurt. And I have found that God is always ready when I am. Unanswered prayer is the hardest thing to deal with. Although I have changed my perspective on this a little. God never leaves a prayer unanswered. Sometimes I am just not listening, or He is saying wait. I don't like waiting. I'm a doer. I need action. I want to make a decision and put it into action. God doesn't always work that way. Sometimes, I forget to listen. I have made up my mind, and I am merely seeking God's approval. Most often, He has another answer. So He waits until I'm done making a mess, and then, He shows me how to do it HIS way. Very frustrating!!
Prayer is also the easiest, most powerful gift we can give. It can take only a few moments, and it can change a life. Beautiful!
I hope you have a fantastic weekend! I look forward to eading what's next. Blessings!