Saturday, July 4, 2009

Quiet Time

My favorite time of the day is just before the sun comes up. Today, as I write these words, the house is cool and quiet, my bride is still snuggled in sleeping as one with no hurry or plans. The entire universe seems to be resting, recovering from anther hot, Texas, summer day. It promises to be another hot one, but this morning, this July 4th morning, it is so calm, so...nice.

My thoughts and ideas that seem to swirl woke me this morning, but the cool Texas morning, the hot mug of coffee have diverted me, at least momentarily from the constant churning activity in my head.

My curiosity about things spiritual make me wonder if the Jewish carpenter turned rabbi would enjoy this morning. He was a spiritualist, he liked the moments of quiet reflection with his Father, and his thoughts. Do we share this moment of quiet contemplation? For the moment do we let the cares of ministry, and sectarianism, of self-centeredness, of pride, of planning and organizing, of chaos and confusion simply be set aside, and a moment with the Father be enough? Can our natures be at peace with what I prefer to call "wasting time with God"? Even now, as I try to express what this means to me, the mundane is creeping in. Lawn mowing, breakfast to be cooked, gathering up for the holiday and the all the events, all conspire to end this moment. But there is a slice or remnant of "peace" that will find a place in my spirit. It snuggles in close to my heart and reminds me that, just as I cherish the moments of snuggling with my children and grand-children, so the Father enjoys our moments of nearness to Him.

Godspeed today.
Thanks for the moment, Father.
Don

No comments: