Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sleepless In Seattle

Traveling has always held a certain fascination for me. It may, in part, be because my folks rarely traveled. I remember the one big vacation of my childhood was to Six flags over Texas and being at that odd age where I was either too small or too tall to ride the rides. I remember my mom telling my dad, "we have to find something for him to ride, everyone else has ridden a ride." This was back when Six Flags had the stagecoach ride (with real horses) and bison grazing in a pen. My most vivid memory of this trip was the swimming pool at the Holiday Inn. When you are accustomed to a muddy creek, probably only 20' wide, then the pool seemed as big as a football field. Of course I got water in my ear, which caused an infection...well, it was fun at the time.

There is something in my nature that gets very restless with the routine. The Meyers-Brigs folks peg me at ENFP...strongly each area. Which means that about the time everyone is settling in and beginning to enjoy the event, I'm wondering, What's next? Are we through here yet? Let's move this party along! My bride does not find this aspect of my nature as endearing as you would imagine. But she has a little of this in her as well. We bought a new house a few years ago and it wasn't 15 minutes before she is making a list of things she wanted to change, new paint color, new door knobs, new faucets, on and on. this is the a slightly different version of my nature. And, by the way, I don't find that as endearing as you would imagine. I would rather gather a fun group and go on a road trip!

But I have the perfect work situation for me. travel all over the USA, either selling or mediating problems, move on to the next stop. This week is Seattle, then Phoenix, then City of Angels, then home late Thursday night. Conflicts to be resolved, sales to be boosted, reps to be managed, then out again, before the dust can settle, on to the next event.

The two major drawbacks for me at this stage in life are: 1. Sleep, it is almost impossible to get a good nights sleep in different time zones, traveling late at night, up early (thanks mom and dad for drilling that in early) and 2. Finding rest for a body that travel beats up. I'm finding that every once in while, as much as I resist the notion, the body has to rest. Muscles and brain and probably spirit need a moment to stop and reflect and just gear down.

So here I am in Seattle, got in late, slept poorly, ready for the battle. I am Starbucks enforced, prayer fortified, ready for the day.

Godspeed to all those who slept in, I'm a little jealous, but not much.
Don

No comments: