Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Have It Your Way

This past week I had a short, one-day business to trip to Tampa. It was just a quick, in and out, show the product, jump back on the plane, head home. So when I landed, i decided to take taxi to the appointment. That way I don't have to rent a car, get directions,figure enough time to return it, catch my flight. It seemed much easier and more efficient, and probably would cost less.

So I wheeled my sample bag and roller briefcase to the cab stand, told the guy where I was going, gave him the address. He informed me that the location was pretty close to the airport and there would be a $15 minimum charge, no problem, I'm still ahead.
The taxi pulls up, I throw my stuff in and pile in behind it. I absentmindedly gave the address to the taxi driver, who sounded like those guys in the commercials for Jamaica, and settled back.

In a heavy accent, and what sounded a little brusque to me,
"What's the best way to get there?"
I'm stumped and just little taken aback. I don't know, I've been there, but I can't tell you where it is. "Umm, it's about 5-10 minutes from the airport." Stupid answer I know, but I felt intimidated, almost speechless, and a little panicky. I don't know where I'm going. I've ridden in taxis all over the US and other countries, New York, Chicago, Lisbon, City of Angels, I have never been asked the best way to get there!

Then I developed a little bit of attitude (I know, shocking) In my head I was screaming, "Dude! it's your JOB to know the best way to get there!" I pay you money to know, not ask me. "I don't know where it is, but I need to be there in 10 minutes." Then I noticed a well-worn Mapsco (early low-tech version of a GPS, actual map with pages and everything) But the driver insisted on calling the home office, apparently to complain about the lack of quality fares coming from the airport. When the home office was no help, he then reluctantly pulled a GPS from the glove box and looked it up!
We were two turns and about 4 blocks away.

It occurred to me that this infatuation with customization had gone way too far. I think corporate America needs to go back to the basics, make a product or service, market said product or service, and deliver said product or service. I go to specific restaurants because I like the way THEY fix it, not fix it to my personal tastes. Yes it is a risk, but that is what life is all about, coming up with the right product, at the right time, and having everyone jump on your bandwagon.
His tip was unexceptional, but, dang it, his service left me a wreck going into an important meeting.

I don't want to have it my way. Fix it your way, and if I like it, I will come back. The last thing the world needs is life customized around one old coot.

Keep your mapsco's handy, apparently we are going to need them.
Godspeed,
Don

1 comment:

ARN e-edition said...

Brilliant. Man, great marketing insights on a completely non-business related blog. My business blogging friends will never believe me.

P.S. I linked to this post from my Twitter page. I hope that's all right.