Monday, June 29, 2009

I Do..Again..I Guess

There is a phenomenon happening right now with a lot of couples our age. We are in the "half" that didn't divorce in the previous 30-35 years. The bringing into this world a group of kids didn't get us. The teen wars were survived. College has been accomplished. In-law kids have been added. And for a lucky few grand kids have enriched the ride. Career losses and changes have been survived. We have hit what I call the 30-50 stage in life. 30 years married, about 50 years old. Most of us who have made it this far have been married longer than we were single (although, I'm not sure you can count the first few years, we were being house-broken, learning the language, we were not much of a catch in those years)

So this new trend is to "renew" your marriage vows. We went to one this past weekend. The event was in a barn, it was hot as blazes, and according to the people who attended the original wedding, it was close to the same temperature. Everyone stood around and tried to stay hydrated until they decided to "renew" their vows. It was a restatement of the original vows, though shorter, no sermon, no music, no bridesmaids, no groomsmen, just the original preacher, the bride and groom, and their only daughter, and her husband. It was sort of sweet, but it hard to appreciate the tenderness of the moment when sweat is running down your back and legs.

I floated the idea of my bride and I doing the same, when she (to my great relief) told me the original vows were fine. They were, after all, vows. One and done, no need to restate them. Now, if I wanted to renegotiate our vows she would be willing to go down that path. It is my opinion that I got the much better deal the first time around, I have no interest in renegotiating.

The best thing about the "renewing" of the vows was the soundtrack. Beatles, Creedence, 3 dog night, man we had good music in those days. My hair grew out a little just listening to it.

We decided we were just going to put the arm on the kids to throw us a party. The vows are fine. We have decided to let well enough alone.

Godspeed to all you 30-50 folks. Far out.
Don

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I think instead of renewing your vows a family vacation is much better for the two of you! We can go somewhere cooler (say the beach) and you can be around your favorites. We can play some "cool" music to help you relive your wedding years. Sound like a plan? Does to me!!!
Love you!

Jordan said...

Really, your hair just grows "bigger" not so much longer. I think Sarah's term for it is "boofy".