Saturday, June 13, 2009

Mission

We head out today on a mission trip (that sounds so high school) with people we hardly know, to a country where we speak very little of the language, to work at tasks that we are not accustomed, where it is hot and dirty and apparently dangerous. I would like to say that we go because I discovered this wonderful adventure, that my sense of ministry and spirituality drove us to this. But really my bride went with the youth group 15 or so years ago and has missed only one since then. She told me for a couple of years, "you should go, you would enjoy it." So when it was evident a summer later that most of my kids were going, plus my bride, I was compelled to go. We dug septic holes for outhouses in a community that sustains itself by scavenging in the city's landfill. I was hooked.

So for the past 12 years or so, we have tied rebar, built cinder-block walls, poured concrete both as floors and as roofs, cleared brush, shoveled sand and gravel, formed brick lines, shared candy with the kids, ate the food at the work-site, and enjoyed and marveled at the wisdom of a man convicted of this work 20+ years ago.
The past few years when I tell people I'm going, they usually say, "Be careful, you know how dangerous it is down there?" The look they have on their face is one of surprise and pity, and a little wonderment that I'm not reading the papers, or listening to the news. I've seen parents pull kids out of the group, sponsors withdraw, elders consider canceling the trip. But here is my question, when did safety or security trump mission? I think this may be one of the real concerns of the modern day church, the idolatry known as "security." When did we become such cowards? Where does this come from?

Some of it is natural concern for those we love. The man mentioned above says, "If anyone gets hurt this is not a successful project." Keeping the teens safe is important. But the lesson of putting the risk out there, of taking the chance is the far more important lesson. I am reminded of the story of young men asked to bow before the king, I love their answer, "the God that we serve is able to deliver us..but if he chooses not to, we will still not bow down to you." Right actions regardless of the consequences. Mission over security.

So we pack our BDUs, t-shirts, shoes that we know are on their last mission, the Word, and a heart that is willing to risk, willing to risk the future moments for the righteousness of the mission. I can't wait.

Taken from the wisdom of a group of men who learned at a younger age the true meaning of service...The God that we worship can spare us, but if he chooses not to, we are still going.
I hope the lesson was learned by Jordan and Brad and Eli and Phoebe, by Ben and Sarah, and by Shane and Carrie little, unknown Lincoln. If so, then the teachers are happy.

Godspeed,
Don

1 comment:

ARN e-edition said...

I wish I was there. Truly. I'm ready to be done with school and work so I can get on with life. I know, I know, that is life and I should enjoy it while I'm here, but it's not nearly as exciting as where you guys are. :) I'm wishing you all Godspeed and success.

While I'm here, I thought I'd leave you a link to my blog arneedition.blogspot.com. It's the one I run from work. I'm hoping to start a personal blog soon, but for now, my "e-edition" persona will have to suffice.

And could you possibly have a longer url address? Sheesh. It's impossible to find you.

-C Hackney (the younger one)