Monday, December 1, 2008

Final Countdown

We are T-5 days to wedding. Almost everything is done, flowers arranged, cake bought, dress fitted (Carrie's, not mine) tuxes rented, reception planned (not yet paid for), everything from bow-ties for the little ring-bearers to arrangements for all the families.
All done but one small thing....decide what to say in the ceremony. You see, I'm officiating at the wedding (my youngest tells me we are saving money by not having to pay a real preacher.)
Here's the thing. My bride and I have spent the last 24 years filling this girl's head with all the advice, warnings, tidbits, scripture, prayers that we could think of. What is left to say?
I think the last, best thing to say to her and our future son-in-law is that we love them, we are terribly proud of them, will help in any way we can, but the road from here on out is theirs to travel. There will be times when we all travel along as a group, but there will be times when the road is theirs alone, to navigate as they see fit.
The problem is that I am still a daddy. How do you turn loose, even when the young man is incredible in so many ways. How do you let your pack slide to the ground, help adjust hers, then watch her round the bend, on her own. She will have the brave, confident stride that her two older siblings had, she will handle the challenges with strength and courage and integrity, just like her sister and brother have done. But it is still a struggle to watch and realize that this part of my life is, in many ways, over and the perils are real.
But, I pick up my pack, because my journey is not yet over. There are still miles to go, steps to take. I know that because of the choices each of my kids have made in selecting a spouse my journey is richer, the joy is increasing.
And besides, now I have some grandaddying to do. A slightly different road, a little more gently rolling than the daddying trail, but filled with the same expectation.
So it is Godspeed to all you daddys out there, finding the same bend in the road.
Don

1 comment:

Christy Z said...

Ok. I just cried reading your blog. Little Carrie is getting married. If I cry at the ceremony, just ignore me! See you on Saturday.