Thursday, December 18, 2008

Cleaning Up

This is another blog of just cleaning up loose ends. Every once in a while you just have to sweep up and start over, this seemed as good a time as any.

IT'S ALIVE! Yes, my little Ford Ranger is back in action. While damaged it looked like a little old man who had lost all his teeth, and carried a perpetual frown. The grill was punched out and the bumper was curled down and back on both ends. Now it has a new grill, new bumper, and a whole new attitude. It seems to like its new dental work, and other than flinching to the middle of the road at night, there doesn't seem to be any lingering effects of the run-in with the deer Halloween weekend. Yeah!

Airline Observation: While flying back from Grand Rapids and Chicago, out of a snow storm (snow falling sideways is never a good sign) I was so relieved to going back to Texas and balmier weather. I had had enough of single digit temps and stinging cold wind. As I settled into my seat, the pilot was doing his "we are happy you chose us" speech, he mentioned that Dallas had a cloud ceiling of 400 ft., fog, and possible sleet, he said, "we will have to use an instrument landing.."
So let me get this straight, American Airlines was grounded for a week this past year for poor maintenance, we are using a procedure that is rare enough to mention to the 150 amateurs in the back, and he just slips that little piece of information in?!? What if he is the one pilot that did poorly on the instrument landing part. "Don't worry about it, how many times are you going to use the instruments anyway?" or "You'll get better when you survive one or two of these."
I've got an idea, why don't we just not mention it! We won't know and I'm here to tell you, ignorance is bliss, and a little information is angst. If you are going to announce that information, I want to see the report card on the pilot, I would prefer we not park that sucker in the mall next to the airport!

The wedding is over, the chick was thrilled and I learned something about her in-laws. Those people can DANCE! I don't mean a few of them, I mean all of them. And as the wine and beer were served they got better. Octogenarian dancers included. I'm here to tell you, my tribe would be voted off first (except my first son-in-law, apparently he has been holding out on us)
Well, here is something new to feel inferior about. Sigh.

Anyway, Godspeed to all, enjoy the holidays.
Don

No comments: