Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Promptings

I have no idea how most of you feel about the movement of the Spirit. Perhaps you don't believe it at all, maybe you feel like it happens, but never to you. Maybe you have heard voices, or felt that the decisions were so obvious that it had to be divine direction. Maybe you just never thought about it, and are wondering about finishing this blog. Well, I can't blame you. I am all over the board on this one.

However, there is a constant in my life that I has evidenced itself at least a couple of times in my adult years.
I believe there is an active "Spirit" in the world today. I think (s)he moves in ways I don't really understand, but here is my experiential evidence.
I am a teacher by nature. I like new ideas and I like to experience those ideas in the forum of inquisitive minds and open discussion. My gift for teaching has been lying fallow for the past two years because the religious tribe I align myself with "voted me off the island" TWICE! You would think I would get the point, but here is where the Spirit thing happens.
In at least three other times in my life I have been nudged into service. My experience is that it takes time. There were no light in the sky or voices in the night or flash of insight. But, instead, it is a sort of pressure build. It becomes like a itch, dead center in my back, that I can't reach. I can shrug around, or try to reach it with a pencil or stick, but ultimately I have to find a way to really get fingernails on the spot.

Perhaps the Spirit works differently in other situations, but with me it takes time to figure out what is needed. All this to say, the itch is back. I have tried to ignore it, but I know it won't go away until I do something about it. Our dear friends showed me an appeal to "teach" a group no one particularly cares about at most churches, young, college age and a little older young adults. They have little money, they are as flighty as flock of sparrows, and they are infuriatingly inquisitive. But that last part is the part I love, that is where we sync up. New ideas and demanding questions of old ideas are what invigorate me.

So the itch is there. I may share a lot of our discussions on this blog, thus opening the discussion to a broader audience. But the old warhorse is being saddled, the battle will soon be joined, as the old bard once said, "cry havoc, and let loose the dogs of war!"
Awwww. That does feel better.
Godspeed, fellow students, the Spirit is moving.
Don

No comments: