Friday, November 21, 2008

Home for the Holidays

Last night I flew in from Kansas City on a completely full Southwest flight. As soon as the wheels touched down I felt a huge weight lift. This has been a tough year, with turmoil at work, travel made difficult, events and coming events on the calendar. So when the bump and the screech of the wheels sounded, I prayed a little prayer of thanksgiving, to finally be home for the holidays.

Thanksgiving is, by far, my favorite holiday. So I decided to simply list reasons it felt so good to walk through the door at home, have my bride give me a huge hug and kiss, and put my travel packs down for a couple of weeks.

1. Breakfasts, I love good unhealthy breakfasts. Bev's homemade biscuits (my grandfather would call them "scratch" biscuits) with homemade gravy, ice-cold orange juice, and coffee. Bacon cooked until it is crumbly, and good preserves.
2. Sleeping in. Covers pulled up, able to sleep until the internal clock goes off, not the annoying thing I listen to the rest of the year. Especially good if my bride is still in bed because it helps me remember good times and anticipate good times to come.
3. Eli (5)and Phoebe (2) jumping into bed with us. The 3 minutes of snuggle before you have to start dodging flying knees and elbows.
4. Having one of my grown daughters still feel comfortable with snuggling in an over sized chair with me and sharing the warmth. I guess daddy's never tire of this.
5. Watching the hurricane of activity in the kitchen Thanksgiving morning. I just wash dishes, trying to keep up, but the flour in the air, the arm-wrestling over utensils and pans, the banter ( our daughter-in law refers to it as "competitive visiting") and the laughter, it is amazing to behold.
6. Catching the Cowboys on TV with my son-in-law and son (future son-in-law is a Colts fan, oh well)
7. The vain attempt to mitigate the calories by taking a walk with all the clan. No way a waddle around the block is even going to dent that caloric intake, but the thought is there.
8. Finally burrowing in at the end of the day with my bride and laughing softly into the night about all the funny things said and done.

Man, it is good to be home.
Godspeed. Happy Thanksgiving.
Don

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with all those things!

Can't wait for it all to begin!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to join in on the festivities. And by the way, mom coined the term "competitive visiting". Sarah just embraced it.

Ben

Jordan said...

I have to disagree, Ben. I was in the car when Sarah first used it and Mom embraced it.

We can't wait, either! We'll be there soon!

Anonymous said...

I think this just proves that we do competively visit (apparently even in blogs!!!!)

Love-
The youngest (who doesn't care where the term came from!!!)