Wednesday, November 5, 2008

If Wishes Were Horses...

Last night I flew home from a quick trip to St. Louis, and am leaving this morning for Vancouver. In the midst of all this, apparently we changed presidents. I think that is fine, W has looked for the last several months that he just wants out. The peace and quiet of west Texas probably sounds pretty good to him right now.

For those of you that feel that the world has come to an end with the influx of Dem pres, senate, and house, well it ain't all that bad. And for those who are on top of the world because now, by gum, we can change the world! Just tap the brakes a little bit. America has this wonderful system where we get to play a mulligan every 4 or 8 years, kick the old guys out and start new.
Guess what? We still have to get up in the morning and go to work, deal with the ornery people we had to deal with on Monday, taxes (perhaps more) will be due April 15, the yard will still have to be mowed, prayers are still needed, God is in heaven, life goes on.

Only about half of us got our wish.
My wife says, "if wishes were horses, even beggars would ride."

You know what I wish?

I wish the billion or so that was spent on the campaign by and for rich folks had been doled out to those who most need it, and will be least affected by this election.
I wish believers got as fired up about God's mission as they do political parties platforms.
I wish we had a viable, thoughtful third party.
I wish I could get into the electoral college, then major in theology.
I wish the pundits were wrong enough that we could stop calling them pundits.
I wish I was taller, or thinner, or a combination.
I wish I was smarter (math would be nice so I could win an argument with my D-in-law, or politics/history to win one with my s-in-law)
I wish I could go back and fix some of my worst decisions.
I wish they hadn't "fixed" Excell 4 or 5 years ago.
I wish, I wish, I wish....sigh.

But hey, we got change.
Godspeed to us, one and all.
Don

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Dad!!!

Can't wait to see you this weekend!
Be ready for all the wedding stuff and please no dead deers!

Love,
Your youngest!

Jordan said...

Okay, since I've just gotten internet today, I have a comment about your last post. I did not wake Eli or ya'll up until 7am, thank-you-very-much! We sure do appreciate your help and I'm very glad you made it home safely.

As for this post, I would just like to say that apparently Eli is a democrat. He had been telling us for a few days prior to the election that he wanted Barack Obama to win. His reasons were simple: 1) Barack Obama (you always have to say both names) had been all over the world and John McCain had only been to two towns. 2) Barack Obama was a dad and 3) Barack Obama likes root beer. I'm not quite sure where he got his reasonings, but as usual, he is very passionate and outspoken about them.

Thanks again for all your help. We love you and miss you!

Than said...

"I wish I could get into the electoral college, then major in theology."

A fantastic quote! I'm really enjoying your blog; Mom told me about it when they got back from the wedding and now I'm about 3 entries away from catching up to date with your writings. We seem to have a pretty similar outlook on a lot of things.

Than Hunter