Thursday, April 30, 2009

Where Was I?

Certain events in our lives are so significant that when we reflect on them, we remember where we were, what we doing, who we were with. As a culture we see this all the time. My generation will always be marked by the assassination of President Kennedy. If you ask anyone 50 or over, they will tell you...fourth grade, Taylor Elementary, they announced it over the speaker system, we were herded outside while teachers cried, some of the kids cried, I was a little puzzled about what was going on.
More recently, all you have to say is 9/11. We all were transfixed with the images and the news. Our world or the shape of it was permanently altered.
But this is also true of good news. The iconic picture of the sailor kissing the girl in Times Square tells of the exuberance over the end of the war. homecomings, good reports from the doctors, news of a baby on the way, all function as sort of markers for the journey. I remember vividly my son telling me, while standing in line at Wal-Mart that this girl from Minnesota was the one, feeling the joy of realizing he was starting a great journey with a one-of-a-kind companion. There was the moment of standing on the berm in front of my wife's aunt's house and having my bride open a charm in the shape of a baby carriage, announcing the pending arrival of our first grand child.
And just yesterday, hearing the overwhelming pride of my youngest tell me that we were going to have another grandson. Joking with her that Jimmy Don is still available...my guess it will be for a few years to come. Standing in the Phoenix airport in baggage claim, taking in the moment. I will always remember.
And there are other moments to come, unknown in scope or origin or impact, catching us off stride, floating in from left field, surprising us again with joy unexpected, but treasured none the less.
I am convinced that the quality of our lives is made up of the quantity of these moments.
Anyway, Godspeed, the journey is a good one
Don

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Thanks for cherishing that moment!

Not sure if Jimmy Wade is still in the pot or not!

Love you!
Carrie