Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter on the High Plains

This weekend we made the trek to Amarillo to visit the grandkids (and the kids, yes, they are important too) Our daughter did not tell the grandkids that we were coming. So when we showed up at the door, Phoebe grabbed her Nena and hugged and hugged, laughing, kissing her Nena, I had to grab her with both hands, plant a foot in Nena's mid-section and yank with all my might to get a hug...then back to Nena. So we walked next door to the neighbors to retrieve Eli. The neighbors have one of those front doors that have a glass panel on each side of the door frame, so when the kids answered the door, and the front door lock was not responding, I could hear Eli on the other side, yelling (as usual) "It's Grandaddy! It's Grandaddy!" Now I'm trying to help with the door from the outside. Let me say, no one greets us with such unabashed enthusiasm as those two. For the first few minutes it is always a hug-fest, holding close those wriggling little guys, drinking in the nearness.

Of course the opposite end of the weekend was equally emotional.
We were celebrating Nena's birthday and the neighbor dog wandered over. Our S-i-L let him in the house which brought a new level of shrieking from Phoebe (she loves puppies) and a certain amount of running through the house, chasing the dog, Eli attempting to tackle the dog, Phoebe trying to pet him. So, eventually the dog was shown the door, which reduced Phoebe to a crying heap. Crying, asking for "shoes! Shoes!" so she could follow outside. To make matters worse, we were packing up to leave. Again, the clinging to Nena and crying. Let me say, I have never experienced a more slobbery, snotty goodbye kiss than that one. Eli on the other hand was pointing out that he didn't have school the next day. Nena said that may be true, but she DID have school the next day. Well...why can't she leave Grandaddy and pick him up later? I love the way the little guy's mind works.

Long, quiet drive home. well, except for the hailstorm in Childress, and again near Quannah.

Where we do we lose that emotional ability? Why are we so afraid of the roller-coaster? I know it is a mark of maturity that we can be all adult and calm and all that. But I kind of miss the exuberance, the sheer thrill of seeing someone I miss so much, and being able to express it in such a way that leaves no doubt about my feelings.

On another note, I met a lady who actually responds to My blog and she gave me a big hug. It was great to meet her, now when she responds it will be friends talking. Met another lady who reads my blog "occasionally" I am a little overwhelmed with that prospect, that people I don't know and haven't met are looking into my thoughts and ideas and questions.

So here I am, home again, road-weary, heart-warmed, and writing again.

Godspeed
Don

1 comment:

Emily said...

It was so great to meet you also. I have looked forward to that moment for a while! I also enjoyed watching you sing and dance with the kiddos at the Easter egg hunt. It was a treat to meet your lovely wife again. This time outside the usual chaos of a birthday party. I hope you have a great week, and I look forward to reading the next post! Like I said, I always learn something!