Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Home Is Where the Heart Is..

Into every life a little sunshine breaks through. When the clouds are dark and the night is fast approaching, it is a renewal of the spirit to have a small beam of sunlight break through the clouds and surround you with a momentary, brilliant, heart-warming and heart-awakening, personal gift of sunshine.

Travel, lately, has been especially hard. Hard on mind, body and soul. Along with the fact that it has been constant. Work has been tedious and unending, and fretful due to the uncertainty of the results.

So today my trip got cancelled. The appointments will be moved, the business will be later, and when I got off the phone all I could say was, "YES! YES! YES!"

Here's why. I love being home. I particularly love being home in the winter. No yard work (or none I can't rationalize not doing) nowhere to be, nothing to drive me from my home. I can cook and read and veg, these may be my favorite wintertime activities.

I especially love being home with my bride. I think we are one of those couples who, after the kids moved out, the career took a few unexpected turns, the old fights and grudges gone...we have fallen in love again. It is really weird to say that after 30 - odd years of marriage, but I can't think of another way to put it. Oh, we never didn't love each other, but this is different. This is something new, reminding me of the early days, but with the seasoning of the budget battles and the teen wars, and health concerns, of friends lost and found, and all the events that can pull people apart, this new love is better, it is more....real.

So for the moment the journey has stopped at a wayside inn, with a warm fire, a fine wine, and a cherished love.

Man, I love being home.

Godspeed to all you travelers.
Don

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are saying it is better now that your bratty kids are gone....I object to that!

Anyways enjoy your time at home, you deserve it!

Love you!

Jordan said...

Soooo...

what are you making for dinner?!

Just make sure it is something delish!

Gay said...

I agree, Don, this stage of marriage is the best one. Not in spite of all the trials and struggles, but because of them. There's no place like home.