Thursday, February 12, 2009

Both Sides, Please

There was an interesting debate going on last week in Texas. Whatever committee decides what Texas school teachers should teach was embroiled in a debate about the pros and cons of teaching the "weaknesses" of the Darwinian theory of evolution. Now the debate was not "teach or not teach" but rather would the theory be subject to critical scrutiny in the classroom. I find this profoundly interesting. The very folks who insist that this same critical thinking be applied to creationism, or any other theory, want a "pass" when it comes to their pet theory. Interesting. When folks take this stand on any theory, it makes me wonder what is wrong with it.

But before we (creationists) let fly with our stone of indignation...umm, we do the same.

Great example. In the Conflict Management class I am teaching right now at a local, small college, I asked the question about where our view (all were evangelical christian world-view adherents) of church leadership authority came from (we were talking about power sources and influence in organizational conflict management, both faith based and secular) They tried all kinds of answers, but when I pushed them they decided that maybe our conventional view was a little traditional and not theological. They became even more confused when pushed to determine where the view HAD come from.

Here's my point. We need to apply critical thinking to all of our suppositions. We need to be able to recognize the weaknesses in our arguments as well as others. It is a simple fact that people today simply do not put the time and effort into critical thinking that develops us into a people of discernment, or to use an old word, wisdom. In addition, we need to develop a culture that allows this sort of thinking, questioning. We need to learn that uncertainty is not the last stronghold of moral breakdown. Questioning is our God-given right, it is at some level our duty.

By the way, leaders hate this. Just be aware.

Godspeed
Don

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don, you and I must be realted!! I have the same problem understanding why we have no critical thinking skills any more. Not just for our church, but for life in general. I taught at our local JC for six years, and I noticed a very alarming lack of critical thinking ability. If things are not laid out right in front of you, it just doesn't exists. At least that is what my students thought. I have often asked questions about why we do things at church. They never really got answered. They always seemed to get pushed aside. I got the excuses of that's just the way it is, and even a couple you're a girl and you don't need to knows. I feel it is our God given right and responsibility to question everything. It will make us smarter and stronger to find the answers. Even if we don't like them! Have a very pleasant weekend, and I always look forward to what you have next.

PS-The post about your wife was so sweet. My parents shared that type of love also. I hope I am able to experience that when I am older and my kids leave the nest. Until then, I'm happy to have my chicks very close.

Than said...

Again, we find ourselves in agreement. Bravo for putting it out there for the world to see, and encouraging the students in your class.

Anonymous said...

Hi Don, I liked your comments about discernment. I've found that watching Fox News and listening to talk radio expands my discernment level greatly. Thanks.