Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I Yam What I Yam

The old spinach eater knew a lot about people. Over the years I have come to understand that people are wired a particular way and no amount of training or self-help or positive thinking will change the original wiring.

For instance. There are people who are inherently generous. Then there are people who are not encumbered with the chip of generosity. I have worked for people who simply could not stand to be generous, earned bonuses drove them to distraction. I think it made them literally ill to consider giving to others. Even when those others made their business profitable after years of declining revenue and declining profits. The spirit simply could not find a way to accept the contributions with grace and reward.

There are people who struggle to empathize, to understand the struggles of others. Mercy, humility, steadfastness, and the list goes on describe people who have a particular nature, and describes those who don't.

My favorite Christmas story is from a funny little book called Red Ranger Came Calling by Berkley Breathed, narrated by the little boy in the story tells us what his mother thought of him.." I did not typically give much thought to the feelings of others, and - true to form - I did not that night. My mother used to tell me that there is a natural order to all things and that mine must have been to prickliness, She said that blaming me - or anyone else - for my distant nature would be like blaming a polar bear for eating Canadians. It was the natural order and that was that."

So I have come to accept the moniker of Grinch for my family. I do not fully accept the designation, but in comparison to my bride and my daughters, I fall closer the Grinch end of the continuum than I do the Christmas Spirit end. I yam what I yam. I love the family being together, I love the flush of joy when someone opens a gift of particular meaning. I'm not a big fan of the musical score of the season, the crowds around malls give me a headache, it makes my stomach hurt when I think my kids have spent too much on my gifts, so I guess the green T-shirt should be worn with pride, or at least some level of recognition.

But the chances are that I won't change much in the years to come. I will continue to cherish the moments with my bride, with Jordan and Brad, with Eli and Phoebe, with Ben and Sarah and little Isaac, and Shane and Carrie and of course lincoln. If that moves me into the Grinch area..well so be it.

Godspeed to all you Christmas Spirit crowd, the verde crowd will pick up the wrappings.
Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't worry, Don, I'll help with the wrapping clean up.
XXXbevXXX