Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Back in the Saddle

Back to work. No money yet, but while working at least I'm busy and have a place to go, people to see. While I worry about the money at least I'm able to do something, to stay in the game. Several times a day I am reminded of the movie "Dumb and Dumber" ...So you're saying I've got a chance! For the aficionados of this movie you will know what I'm talking about. Meanwhile a few observations.

Flew to the city of Angels last week, then to Phoenix, then home. This week to St. Louis, connect through Chicago, on to Ft. Lauderdale. Six opportunities to go through security. Six opportunities to be scanned, to undergo a pat-down. Nothing. Regular process, shoes off, cell phone off, anticipation....off. The usual frustration with the amateur fliers, you mean I can't carry on this 64oz bottle of lotion I bought at Walmart? Those of us in line behind these folks want them to be scanned, just to get out of the way. TSA agents look just as disinterested as they did before this entire broohaw over the scanning deal. Actually I feel bad for them. I can't imagine they want to grope us any more than we want to be groped.

On a whim yesterday I grabbed my leather coat for the trip. I had on a sweater. Should be enough, right? Landed at STL, grabbed my bags, stood outside waiting for a car-rental shuttle for 20 minutes..in 16 degree weather. Upper body just fine. Legs freezing because of the summer weight slacks. Rookie mistake. Shuttle driver finally arrived full of good cheer, "Welcome! Glad you are here! Thanks for doing business with us!" I thought, "Get the hell out of my way, I'm freezing my cajones off here!" I said nothing, couldn't, jaw was frozen.

Customers are really picking apart the product line. I love it, it only confirms what I have been telling the folks in the office. There is a real tendency in most organizations to feel that the product is the be-all, end-all. It is what I refer to as "breathing your own air" The customers will tell you like it is, no sugar-coating. It is my firm belief that there is no such thing as bad information. There is only useful information (both positive and negative) or less-useful information. But I get to do what I love to do, developing a story for the product line. Gathering all the information I can to give my reps the best chance of placing the business. My bride feels there is something desperately wrong with me, that this particular challenge drives me. But I do love it, and I have missed it over the past 8 months.

If you are a praying person, lift a short one up for me. I will need all the help I can get.

Godspeed out there. Back in the saddle is such a good thing.
Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its so much better to wake up each morning with a purpose for the day, isn't it?

congrats, I'm happy for you that the work thing is working.

L.