Tuesday, October 26, 2010

New Experiences

As we get older there is a tendency to shy away from new experiences. Perhaps it is because we are simply too worn down to expend the effort. Maybe it is because over the years we have decided that surprises are generally painful. It could be that we simply like our lives and don't want to upset the applecart. But I believe that in order to stay connected, to stay vital,we have to continue to try new things. We have to push ourselves to keep our minds and bodies challenged in ways we would never have considered when we were younger.

These new experiences can come in any number of forms. My bride and I love to go to new places, see different things, eat different food, taste the wine from different parts of our lives and places. Some folks my age are prepping for marathons (I am usually quick to point out that the first guy that ran the marathon delivered his news of a battle victory..then died) New crafts and hobbies are being taken up, new languages learned, new skills acquired. It is all a part of people realizing that they still have life to live, that the best is not behind, but ahead.

With all that in mind, a little group that we associate with love to sing. We sing on vacations, we sing in the car, we sing where ever we find ourselves. Not long ago I discovered that our little community of Glenn Heights was having a "familyfest" or carnival. They invited anyone who wanted to preform to sign up and get an assigned slot. I mentioned it to the guy in our group that is the instigator of our singing and he, as he puts it, was "all about that" So we have actually practiced a few times and we are singing Saturday @ 1:30 in the park in Glenn Heights (this is a blatant pitch)

Let me say that I am not comfortable with this AT ALL. I am confident in a lot of areas in my life, this is not one of them. But I feel that this is a rehearsal for my concept of a different church model and I wanted a trial run. It pushes me to do something that I am self-conscious about. It makes me queasy and excited all at the same time. It will be good for me. It also gives me the chance to see if God answers prayers of the foolish.

So we are singing 6 or 8 songs on Saturday 10/30. Come and witness this triumph or debacle. I will be the one nervous and sweating on the end.

Godspeed, try something new. If nothing else it eliminates the things you think you can do.

Don

No comments: