Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Here, There, and Everywhere

There are several things that I simply do not understand about this entire "God-thing". It isn't that I am particularly slow, or hard-headed (my bride might argue the point) but it is that I can't seem to get my head around certain ideas. For instance, this "trinity" thing. God is all three? Yet separate? With different roles? Scripture doesn't clear it up much either..God, Son, Spirit all one, yet not all one? It makes my head tired.

While at the weekly assembly a couple of weeks ago, I was asked why I was not at a particular event. I responded that I was performing a wedding at the time of the event, that God was present and all was good. The guy I was talking to said he felt that God was at their event as well...which made my head start ginning out this weird sort of thought string. Was He there? Here? Everywhere?

My mind went to Genesis 3, God came looking for his fractious children, it says he was "walking" in the garden. Okay, located by walking around. At that moment we all know where He was..in the garden..looking for his people. Other scriptures "locate" Him at various times and places. But how does that work? Is the rest of creation being ignored while he traipses around with the most troublesome of his creatures? Is He everywhere at once? So we, each, never get His full attention, but some fraction of it, is that now enough to handle our problems?

Is He nowhere? Has he set this thing adrift with us on it? Is He off spinning up another creation because this one is too much trouble? Which makes me wonder if heaven will only be earthlings...hmm, and we worried about Baptists being there..I can see us getting in and there is a creature that looks like an asparagus stalk named Zortog, great stalk of faith from the planet/star/dimension of Ug. He/she/it sees God as an "octite" (8 beings in one.)

Our ego-centrism sort of demands that He be watching us every moment. I wonder if this is true? This past six months of unencumbrance of employment has taught me that the world keeps spinning without me. Everyone I know has moved on, they are working, they have plans, and if I keep bringing up my need for work (center of my attention right now) they will find a way to not include me in their world. But we sort of demand that God have a deep and personal attachment to my circumstances. Does it work that way? I'm not sure. I feel a great affinity to Peter in John 6, Jesus asks if they are ready to bail out of this entire ministry thing as well.. Peter says, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of life.."

So I don't get it. I may never get it. But where else do I go? Maybe God is in every situation where there is someone who believes He is there. Another head scratcher.

Godspeed, this journey is full of questions for those of us who choose to wonder.
Don

No comments: