Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Happy Birthday!

My bride is having a birthday today. We slept in until 5:30, then got the day rolling. I was the first to wish her a happy birthday, but the calls will roll in all day, from each kid and each grandkid. Mine had to be first because the special thrill will come from the grandkids, not the old coot she finds herself married to these past 35 years.

Every once in a while in response to my "I love you" she asks, "Why?"
Well, let me count the ways.
1. She is the most unselfish person I know. She donates huge chunks of her time to others, me the kids, the grandkids, friends, and the odd character that she seems to care for. All of her tasks really are for others. She shops for others, she smocks for others, she invests her entire life into the lives of others. Just yesterday, I had a full day of computer work and job search, these usually leave me sullen and without communication. She came over and sat in my lap and said, "you need to get out of the house, go play golf, go take a walk." It is my suspicion that she wanted some time from me, but instead recognized my need to get out and clear my head.
2. She is funny. Now you might expect that a guy would rather have something other than humor, but we have spent a lot of the past 35 years laughing, at life, at each other, at our kids, at our grandkids. Her humor is not as wacky as mine, but there are times when we have laughed hard enough to shoot drink through our noses and tears run. A lot of things have changed in the past 35 years, but our willingness to laugh is still there.
3. She cannot stand dishonesty. I suspect because she grew up with a father who was emotionally distant and dishonest, she can't stand it in others. Now when this unflinching trait is directed at others all I can say is, "You go, girl." When it is directed at me..well, it can be intimidating. But I love this about her. Couple this with the heart of a lion and you have a fearsome combination. She will take on anybody in this, so be ready.
4. She is crafty..glue gun, not sneaky. This one is a mixed bag for me. I have tried to explain to her that we all don't have this chip. This past Christmas she wanted me to make a decorative Christmas tree out of wine bottle corks. I tried to explain to her that I had done my job by drinking the wine. She would have none of it, so as I seared my fingers with the glue gun, I told her that "crafting" is not a hobby for those of us who are not bent that way, that it is work. Not much encouragement to stop. I finished the tree and started another collection of wine corks for next year.

The list goes on and on. But let me just say that my world has essentially revolved around her since I saw her cruising across the Abilene Christian campus, in her turtleneck sweater, corduroy pants, blond hair down to her shoulders, nose tilted up, books clasped under her arm. I was totally and permanently taken prisoner from that day on. There is no parole, there is no need to escape.

Godspeed to my bride. Love you, always have, always will.
Don

No comments: