Tuesday, March 23, 2010

This Past week

What a week this has been. We had all the grandbabies in one place at one time. This is nirvana for me. To see each of them, get to play, minimal discipline. These are the best of times.

I took Eli, my almost 7-year-old to play golf. Not driving range or down to the middle school, but a par-3 course in Dallas. He has his own clubs, a growing number of my golf balls, and a willingness to go with me (a narrowing selection of people) We walked up and paid the green fees and went to the first tee where we grouped up with another guy named Don and his daughter (3rd grade? )
I discovered quickly that Eli was going to have a problem with golf's version of "whose turn is it?" He is accustomed and will abide by the alternating shot concept, but struggles with the furthest from the hole concept (actually I get a little antsy with it as well, but another blog) So I had to keep saying, "Dude,not your turn, wait until she is closer to the hole." By and large though he did great, actually hit it on the green once from his tee shot and almost did a couple of other times. I want someone other than a fanatically partial grandfather to watch him and see if he has any talent for this. But we had a great time, he lasted the entire hour and half with no melt-downs, and other than piling up about 100 putts he seems to have some ability.

My brightest memory of Phoebe Mae, our 3-year-old, was her stage presentation of an extemporaneous choral version of "dance like no one is watching" In the backyard we have a bench that encircles a small tree. This was her stage. Through the open back door drifted a song, no known tune, words made up as the song drifted out. Complete with staging and choreography, this little song bird just sang her heart out. Now, mind you, neither of her parents are what I would call singers. They both can sing, but it doesn't drive them. This little girl has a song on her heart and on her lips constantly. She has big finishes..in the middle of the song complete with raised arms and head tilted back, full of glory and joy and fun. I love it, it makes me sing a little.

Finally, little Mr. Lincoln. He may have the most endearing smile on the planet. It is something about mixing charm, a quiet little attitude, and just a pinch of mischief. He is going to be a handful when he gets older and mobile. He loves it when you pick him up, he hates it when you put him down. Now he shares a love of food with his cousin Phoebe, so we will see how this works out. There is simply something charming about this little guy, we will see where it leads.

So the week has been a high-light, one for the memory books.

Godspeed to those who got to spend the week with the ones they love.
Don

3 comments:

Jordan said...

It WAS a great week! And my children are not adjusting well to back-at-school and on-a-schedule. (I'm kind of enjoying it, though.) We can't wait to see you again. :) I love you!

Emily Bowmer said...

I never get tired of hearing grandparents adore their grandkids! I know some people run the other direction when grandkids are brought up, but it truly warms my heart. It makes me think my children's grandparents are doing the same. The relationship between grandparent and grandchild is so special. Nothing comes close. Truly heartwarming. I hope you get to visit with them all again very soon! Grandaddy's are cut from a different sort of cloth than anyone else. The best! Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I guess you every time Eli asks me to take him golfing!

Lately, this has been a lot with the weather getting better and all. I keep telling him that is a thing he does with hi "grand" daddy...not his daddy.

Jordan tells me it could be his gift an a college scholarship. I hear he is pretty good. I am not going to stop saving.

Brad