Friday, March 19, 2010

Something Tells Me It's All Happening at the Zoo

Simon and Garfunkle, old song, silly lyrics. But we went to the zoo yesterday. The entire troop of grandkids, the two daughters, the bride and I. We arrived early to miss the crowds (which we did) but froze for the first hour or so. It kind of made me sad to see wild animals shivering in the cold, particularly the ones from warm climes. They must be thinking, "What did I do to deserve this?" Elephants seem impervious to everything, the giraffes were equally unaffected, but the monkeys looked miserable.

I learned something about just about everyone there. My eldest grandson, who will be 7 in June is a remarkable map reader. He could locate exactly where we were, the best way to get to the next area, and kept track all day long. I was amazed. This is pretty high-level thinking, plus knowing direction, plus having a pretty good grip on left and right. The zoo is undergoing renovations, so the big looping walkways were occasionally blocked, making for a detour. He could map out a course from our recent paths and get us to where we needed to go. I have seen adults struggle with this, and this was not an easy map to read.

Our granddaughter created the most trauma. She got lost in the big kid play section. My youngest daughter and I had hiked back to the car to get the picnic lunch, then met them in the play area. Jordan, the mom, was on the verge of panic when I got there. My bride was guarding the littlest one, so Carrie and I set out in opposite directions. I made a quick turn around the area and realized that the only way in or out was a pretty narrow opening. I planted myself in the middle of it and prepared to do battle. Logically this is a 56 year-old-body, but the willingness to put it in harms way for the only granddaughter was immediate. Of course I realized as I inspected everyone coming or going that every mom with a 3-ish female dressed them all in pink. 9,000 pink coats, sweaters, hoodies. Then I realized that most had not put in hot pink bows in blond hair, it narrowed the search. About the time the panic was really setting in, I spotted a zoo employee handing over our precious Phoebe to her crying mother. I will let her tell her story on her own blog, but now here I am armed for battle and no villains. So we ate lunch.

My youngest daughter is a planner and packer. We knew this, but an event like the zoo just crystallizes it. The stroller had room for the diaper bag, hooked over the handles, S-hooks on the side for additional bags, cup holders (2), this thing was loaded. I'm not sure what the carrying weight of the modern stroller is, but the baby is only a fraction of the weight. Here, you need band aids, right here. Drink? In the side pocket. Wipes? in the diaper bag, on the left-hand side, in the pocket.
I can't keep up with one set of keys and a wallet, I would never make it as a modern day mom.

Lincoln is a pleasant and quiet little boy, but constant motion. We decided that he will get into everything, quietly. Then when discovered will give you sweetest smile ever. If Carrie and Shane are looking for discipline from me, it ain't gonna' happen. All these kids have my number.

Jordan hates the reptile house. When did this happen? How can you hate a place that features albino alligators, and 20' pythons, and lizards that remind me of Jurassic Park? Jordan planted herself in only spot in the building that is equidistant from all the critters. No amount of teasing or cajoling would prompt her away from the openness of the lobby. Then as soon as we all regathered, out the door. She stated in no uncertain terms her dislike for the entire concept of reptilian world. On to the monorail.

My bride, once again just drank it all in. Carrying kids when needed, opening drinks, soothing feelings, one hand on the stroller of Lincoln, eyes scanning for Phoebe during the "search" She always does what needs to be done.

The zoo was fun, exciting (a little too exciting with the Phoebe disappearing act) tiring, we heard that orangutans are sceptical of changes in their cages, and the zoo keeper is very fond of rum.
But other than that, what a fun day.

Godspeed, talk to the animals, they won't talk back when it is 50degrees outside
Don

2 comments:

Carrie said...

It was fun at the zoo for all of us! We should go again soon and hope the gate security is the same!

Jordan said...

Yes, Jordan's version of losing our Phoebe Mae was not so calm and collected and yours.

Brad

p.s. I never knew Jordan doesn't like snakes!