Friday, November 27, 2009

Lost Maples...


Sometimes an unexpected turn in the road surprises us with the greatest gifts. There was a group of us who wanted to take a trip, we didn't know where, but all of us being empty-nesters, we decided to take a car trip. After much research and debate, and a casual comment by my bride about "Lost Maples" we formed up plans. We decided on the weekend before Thanksgiving, probably because some of us had family duties. There was only one scheduling hitch that came late and entailed a late night drive with us guys, but other than that it was a good plan.

As the weekend unfolded it became evident that we had all been under some stress or other because we simply wanted to veg. No plans, no agendas, no appointments. We drove to Austin on Friday night, stayed in a hotel, got up the next morning and hunted for a Panera Bread (my favorite and no luck) a Starbucks (second choice, but no luck) and found a La Madeleine (good choice and good food and good coffee) We ate and headed out for Leakey (good luck finding it on the map, it ain't very big) The drive took us through Johnson City, where we found a nice little winery call Texas Hills with a pretty good cab and a recipe for "mulled" wine, sort of a cider, but made with Merlot..tasty. Then we drove quickly through Fredericksburg and headed for Kerrville. We ate at a place that had originally started out life as a train depot. I had an "Axis" burger, which I assumed was a derivative of the Axis deer, not a statement about the WWII enemy alliance. Good burger, though, with great blue cheese.
Then we settled in for the last leg of the journey to Leakey and the cabin/house we had rented on the Frio river.
There is not a direct route from here to there in that part of the country. You either have to go around a mountain, or to the next river crossing, or find a road that goes all the way through, not many did. But we finally arrived at our destination and it was great. No one around, quiet, cool, late-in-the-day settling time. My buddy Doug went down to the river to fly-fish. He waded to the best looking fishing holes, but did make the comment that they don't call it the Frio for nothing..it was COLD! I pulled out my little spinning reel, made a couple of tosses and lost interest, apparently about a day after the fish had lost interest. So I headed back to house to cook dinner, somewhere in the past couple of decades I decided I would rather cook than fish.
Dinner with close friends may be the best tonic for our high-velocity lives. Banter and jokes, insight and shared troubles, concern for kids and grandkids all flow around a good meal. Breaking bread together is truly a spiritual experience.
Drove deep into the night to pick up the last member of our little band, then back to the cabin around 2AM.

Woke up at 6:30. ready to roll, my bride does not find this endearing. I am somewhat of an extrovert and when I'm up I really look forward to visiting with someone...anyone...even those who would rather be asleep...

What a great Sunday. I had a nap...wait, not just a doze, a real, everyone left the room and me alone, 2 hour dead-to-the-world nap. The wake up disoriented kind of nap. Refreshing and deep..now where did everyone go? I need to tell someone!

Steaks on the grill, a good cabernet, recycling the day. Memories with people who you love.

Our only agenda item for the weekend (a nod to our planner, Janet) was to visit Lost Maples State Park. Breathtaking, particularly the long hikes.
This is my favorite picture of the bunch...my bride and I amongst the lost maples.


Lost Maples..lost weekend.. rediscovered sanity.

Godspeed out there, get a little lost every once in a while. It does the soul good.
Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was able to "relive" the weekend through my pictures with everyone who even looked my way on Thanksgiving day. Don't you know they all loved that! I don't think I could have scripted a better, more relaxing weekend. Good food, good friends, good wine...what more could you want? Well, maybe some brussel sprouts.
Janet