Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Stuck in the Middle

While traveling this week to the city of Angels, there has been a recurring thought and observation. Our society tells us that if we act a certain way, respond a certain way, just have the right attitude that ultimately this will become the truth.
I've decided that perhaps the opposite is probably the truth. We live our theology. Dallas Willard says, "if we don't live it, we don't believe it."
So how does this play out? I have occasion to visit with people who are remarkably younger than I am. There is a great deal that I like about these younger generations, but there is at least one thing that makes me scratch my head.
For instance, in conversation with a young lady this past week she referenced her live-in boyfriend and her "born again" status in Christianity. So I gently encouraged her to tell me how she reconciles these two constructs in her life. It was very easy, she saw no connection. My generation would call this sloppy theology, but I had to rein in my indignation and judgement when it occurred to me that she probably learned this from my generation. I'm at the end of a generation that pioneered the sexual revolution. The pill removed the greatest taboo (at that time) of an unwanted pregnancy and the condemnation that accompanied it. Our theme song was Love the One You're With. We invented the "consumer" society. The only difference was that we bent theology to our desires, this younger generation just doesn't let the two conflicting ideas talk to each other.
Somewhere along the line we live out what we believe. We can't simply move along the buffet line of life and theology, picking out what we want and ignoring the rest. My life has to reflect my theology, which it probably does. So what does our life activities say about our theology? Well, as long as God doesn't try to control my schedule or my checkbook, then I'm for him. As long as I can treat people the way I choose to, instead as he instructed, then we are good. As long as I get to have my stuff, do the things I enjoy, judge who I choose, etc. then God gets my vote.
Self-revelation is tough. It is much easier to just poke holes in others theology than to examine my take on it and the application of it.
Whew, I think that's enough for today.
Godspeed, my friends.
Don

No comments: