Friday, October 3, 2008

Another Thought

$700 Billion, with a "b." Stunning in its size, truly incomprehensible for most of us regular folks who really can't grasp the magnitude of a million with a "m." Our society has grown used to the "m" crowd, actors, athletes, tele-evangelists, dot-com entrepreneurs, and others, people who are annually awarded lottery winner status.
But lets look at this from a different perspective.
200 million workers in America, give or take. Now lets divide the $700 Billion by 200 million, does that really compute to $3,500,000 per wage earner? or is it $35,000,000 per wage earner? My little calculator doesn't have enough zeros. I've got an idea, why don't they just give me my share and see how well I reinvest it in the economy. I'll even pay taxes on the thing which will refund the government for operating expenses. We will dramatically lower the debt load on the average American worker, most of us will reinvest in the economy (I'll replace my 10 year old, 200,000 mile truck) and think of the boost for the non-profits.
Here is what I suspect, though. The money ain't there. This is all smoke and mirrors, which when investigated will be so much Washington yapping, that really just puts a little more money in their pockets and gives them the chance to have a little more say in our lives.
The nomad rabbi from Nazareth was right, the root of all evil is the love of money, or at least the love of possible money.
We are going to let the nincompoops who got us into this devise the plan to get us out? Good luck. This is certainly an interesting part of the journey.
Godspeed.
Don

No comments: