Thursday, May 28, 2015

New Relational Assets

Over the past few years I have picked up "relational" assets I never had before. All my life I heard things like, "I'll have to call MY lawyer." Who keeps or needs a lawyer that they can identify and name? I don't have a lawyer. My eldest son-in-law is a lawyer, but that is way down on the list of identities he is to me. He is first and foremost the husband of my eldest daughter, and a very good one. More importantly he is the father of my first two grandkids, the ones who called me "granddaddy" before all others. And he is a spiritual man, a faithful man, and an industrious man. And somewhere down the line he is a lawyer, but he is not MY lawyer. (I've always had a little uncertainty about having him represent me in a legal battle. I'm sure there are things in the past 15 years or so that he was not happy with me about and as we all know payback is a b....well you know.)

But in the past few years I have picked up a few of these Assets. Did you know I now have a cardiologist? These are not cheap acquisitions. I see him more often than I do MY dentist. Hey there's another one, however, he is one of my dearest friends, so I'm not sure that counts. And day before yesterday I went to MY skin doctor. Ok, ok he is also distantly related and is far more to me and my family than the guy who bores holes in my scalp digging for who knows what. He claims he did not go very deep, but I suspect he was stunned at how thick the skull was. He is a plastic surgeon, but I keep him humble by having to deal with my body's ability to produce all sorts of weird looking skin bumps, lumps, and colorings. It does tickle me when he fusses at me for waiting to see him. He always asks the trick question, "How long have you had this?" Most of time I do not remember. I can identify when my bride pointed it out, but at my age and in my defense, the mirror is not my friend.

So what am I missing? Here is a short list of assets I need to work on.
Trainer - these people tend to be mean, see my blog post about "Boot Camp"
Therapist - Yes, I need one more person to ask me, "What is WRONG with you?"
Preacher- Another person telling me what IS WRONG with me!
Accountant - Hmm, not much to count.
Personal Physician - I actually have one that I never see. He seems preoccupied with my prostate.

Some of these I will never acquire. They are far more expensive than I have interest in paying.

But it also occurs me that there are a few professions we are a one time interaction, or just a part of our lives but not able to achieve the status as "MY" :
Funeral Home Director - you never hear anyone say that. This is a one and done.
Policeman - My policeman just sounds wrong.
Dry Cleaners Person - way too long a title.

So here I am at this stage of life, picking up all these relational assets with apparent ease. Who knew I would be so successful?

Godspeed to those out there who are just beginning to acquire the finer things in life, it is the true measure of success!
Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've got a few of those myself!