Wednesday, January 22, 2014

1st Amendment

This morning I read in USA Today that blogs are protected under the 1st Amendment. That comes as a huge relief. A lawsuit could wind up on my doorstep at any time because of this blog. However, I think it would require a certain number of people to READ the blog to run that risk. My following on this journey is small, but loyal. A few comments along the way, most positive. A few emails referencing the blog, most...ummm....with a differing view point. But as I have said all along, I write for me, for me to articulate thoughts and ideas, dreams and hurts, doubts and fears. Sometimes it seems to strike a chord with folks.

But I had not considered this blog a liability in any way. Partly because I have a few rules that I apply when writing:
1. It has to be something that has been triggered recently. There can be events, or ideas, or interactions that spin my head in a certain direction that seems worthwhile to me. So I write it down.
2. This is a constant reminder for me to reread the post and make sure that I have not embarrassed anyone. Sometimes events in others lives prompt me to write, but it would embarrass them. So I choose to either mask the thought in very general terms, or I ask permission, or I write the post, but don't publish.
3. I try not to attack anyone because, as my bride points out, they can't defend themselves. And while I may feel quite justified, it is not a fair fight when I have the only pulpit.

So I write what impacts me and my life and add dash of perspective and arrive at a thought that may be a bit undercooked or overcooked, but sometimes tasty anyway.

But what strikes about the public discourse today is the lack of discernment, the lack of wisdom. The right attacks the left, lights attack the dusky, the word-eaters attack the number-crunchers, the tall against the short, the thin vs the thick, the them against the us. No one brings to the conversation the ability to empathize, to understand, to discuss. We are all so intent on yelling out our position that we lose sight of the opportunity that others might have some genuine, well thought out perspectives. If I can listen and understand their point of view at an emotional level, then it makes it easier to adapt my view to a more common ground.

I wish this were true within small segments of our society, but it seems to inflict all moments of our lives together. Church, government, education, health care, transportation, marriage, familial, all are impacted with this lack of discernment. This little blog tries to find a moment when I can bring all sides to a conversation without anyone yelling at each other. The biggest challenge is to keep myself from entering the fray and causing more disinformation or distrust.

Besides, I have no money, so it wouldn't do any good to sue me anyway.

Godspeed, lets have a kind word out there.
Don

No comments: