Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Wandering Around

These are a few of the thoughts just sort of simmering in my head. No particular order of importance.

Why do we get such a thrill out of fireworks? I love the joy it brings to my grandkids, my kids, and my bride, but I really don't get it. It is pretty (for the girls), it has noisy booms (for the guys), it draws a crowd (for the cops), and it seems to be getting more and more of them each year. It is a exotic blend of lawn chairs, pickups, chiggers, beer, sweat, ants, and dirt. There is the obligatory flag-waving, the long lines to get out of the parking lot, or grass field, and the loud people who can't figure out the every-other-car deal. But I always come away from them being glad I went. Human nature is a funny  thing. Parades sort of fall into the same category for me.

I have been home for 5 days, don't go anywhere for another week. This has been a great moment. I love being home because the coffee is good, the company is better. My curmudgeoness comes out in that I like to sleep in my own bed, with my bride of all these years. Kids, being apart does not get easier the older you get, it gets much more difficult. You handle it better due to the maturity deal. It is nice being home.

Andy Griffith died. All my new (old) friends on Facebook are posting nostalgic posts about Mayberry, the flag, and America. They are also vilifying the sitting president. Does anyone not remember that Andy, good old, country personified Andy supported ObamaCare? In fact, it was his last acting gig, an ad to smooth the waters for the bill. Who said any of us had to be consistent?

Praying deep and worrying about my six grandkids. Eli, Phoebe, Lincoln, Isaac, Lola, and Abby. How I wish I could smooth the way for them. Give them something that will hold them solid when the world goes chaotic. My nature seems a little threadbare and worn to pass on to anyone. But it is all I have. My shield of faith has dents in it, both from battle and from me running into things. The belt of truth has notches carved through the years by taking it up and letting it out depending on the current whim of religious thought, my helmet of salvation doesn't fit just right, seems my head is either too big (my doing) or too small (world's doing) to ward off much anymore. So what can I leave these gifts of my life? The only thing I can leave is the worth of knowing the One who loves them more than I do. It is all that will carry them through.

Our democracy is messed up. No one wins anymore, we all lose. One vote doesn't even count as one vote. Electoral college makes the decision on who wins and loses. I think it is time for all of us to take a deep breath, step away from the fray, find something to laugh about. Did you hear the one about the farmer's daughter...? Andy would know the joke.

Well, glad to clear out the mind lint.

Godspeed, a purposeful blog is in the near future.
Don

No comments: