Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sons

Yesterday my son turned 32. This realization prompted me to stop and contemplate the last 32 years. I have long moved past the point where I look on him as a kid. He is a man, and a good one. It is with no small pride that I can say that.

Saturday I was treated a memory snapshot. He and his bride and 2-year-old son had come to our house to visit and eat dinner with us. There had been some health turmoil in my life and I simply didn't feel up to the drive to their house, but desperately wanted to see them, in particular that good-natured little boy. So as I  was cooking dinner (this is not a chore for me, but a relaxation) I glanced out the back window into the yard and saw my son sitting on a lawn chair, watching his son play on the slide. Both were laughing, enjoying the sunshine, the day, and the moment. It occurred to me that the cycle was continuing in a good and fulfilling way for me.

I remember calling home when I was a young father, having my son pick up the phone and bursting with enthusiasm, "DAD!" Then in those years when he was about 3 to 14, whatever I was doing he wanted to do. It was with very deep and secret pride that I had this little shadow on my heals. Our interests have diverged, but my sense of pride has not, and my sense that the imprinting was done properly. Now it is his turn. Even now when I get a chance to help with painting a room or hanging a ceiling fan, the 2-year-old wants a tool to "help." How can you not enjoy the moment? If the father is runner, the son wants to run, if he is a yard guy, the son wants to be a yard guy. This trailing of the father for these few short years is a precious and time honored teaching tradition.

So it is with some pride that I see a son, as a grown man, who is kind to his wife, who adores his son, who is responsible for his family in all things important, spiritual, emotional, and physical. Then I look at my sons-in-law and realize that I see the same marks of integrity with them. That my prayers through all those years for other fathers raising their sons have been answered. I see my 9-year-old grandson enjoying the backpacking and cycling and interest in family and friends that his daddy has. I see my almost 3-year-old grandson have the same intensity for work, and a very mischievous sense of humor that is patterned on his daddy's blueprint. My daughters chose well.

This gives me great hope for the future. These little boys will follow the paths of their fathers and their grandfathers. It is with great anticipation that I look down the road and see strong, healthy, balanced men follow in the paths of their fathers.

Happy Birthday to my son. I hope the legacy that I received from my father and passed on to you will be of value to your son and his sons and on and on.

Godspeed, our immortality is manifested in the integrity of our progeny. This is a very important task that we undertake. Happy 32, Ben.
Don

No comments: