Monday, April 23, 2012

Not Funny! At All!

In the past few months my stuff, keys, wallet, pens, etc. have started hiding from me. When I go to pick them up from their normal places..they have moved. It has gotten mildly annoying.

Now my coffee mugs seem to have joined in the game. I have three coffee mugs that I use. My favorite has no clever printing or silly pictures. It is simple white mug (probably from Ikea) the opening is about the same size as the bottom, but the mug is bowed out in the center with a handle that is just the right size. The other two are mugs that have sayings or quotes on them that I like. Now, all of a sudden they have all conspired against me.

For the past week, I have done as I have always done. I fill up my bride's coffee mug with the right amount of creamer and take it to her just as she gets out of the shower. Then I go back to kitchen and fill my mug. Then I wonder around accomplishing various tasks. So occasionally I set my coffee down to make the bed, or check facebook, or watch a moment of news...then I can't find my mug. I look here and there. I go back into the bathroom, scan the counter, mutter "Nothing" to my bride's question, "What do you need?" Then I walk back into the kitchen, and there my mug sits, in the middle of the cooking island, looking innocent and wide-eyed. I know good and well that I looked there before. So the only possible explanation is that the mug hid, then leaped onto the island while I was at the other end of the house, making me think that it was there the entire time.

So the next day I change mugs..same thing. Only now I can hear the giggling when I'm not in the room. These mugs are cooking this up at night while in the cabinet. They think it is funny to exasperate the old man early in the morning. I don't think the coffee is in on it, the coffee is an innocent bystander. In fact, by the time the mug unhides itself, the coffee is pretty cool to the entire escapade. So I have to warm it up in the microwave and the whole event starts over again.

Why would these mugs do this? The only explanation I can come up with is that they are in the moment of life called "teenage" mugs. Foolish pranks to upset the old guy. Well, I have a surprise for them, it is called "garage sale" See how they like being used as pen holders or better yet spit cups for the red-necked clan. I think I will find me a nice Japanese mug, no handle, but very proper.

Godspeed to those out there with well-behaved mugs. Mine are a bunch of hooligans.
Don