Friday, April 13, 2012

The Best Day

My bride does not like surprises. Which is a little incongruous because she married me and I am nothing if not surprising. But we dated and were engaged for a couple of years before saying "I do" so it is all on her.

This day is not a surprise, but we had a surprise birthday party last weekend when all the kids and grandkids were in town. She made it clear to me again that she doesn't like surprises. But we pulled it off, and she ate the cake and opened the gifts like the good sport she always is.

But here are a few things that make me fall in love everyday with this birthday girl.

She is all about everyone else. Our home is a secondary location for Hobby Lobby, JoAnnes, and innumerable little craft and quilting stores. You see, she custom makes a new blanket for each new grandchild. FIVE at this point. ONE in process. These things are heirlooms, not just because they are priceless, but because they are high quality and treasured by every single grandchild. Even Eli, who is sneaking up on 9 years old, still snuggles in with his. His little sister, Phoebe, left hers at our house and I had to mail it back. These things are works of art. And my bride sits on the floor and cuts and assorts and rearranges and sews and stitches each and every one. She does not cut corners when it comes to her grandbabies.

But it doesn't stop there, when we are out shopping she will buy something and I quiz her on what it is for, "Jordan is looking for this" or "Carrie needs this." or "Sarah will look really good in this." Wait a minute, those people are off our payroll! but she shops and looks and buys and contemplates what she saw where and what everyone needs.

But wait. Just two nights ago, "What are you sewing now?" Answer: "So and so needs this prom dress and her mother wanted me to make it." Really? A prom dress? She has done curtains, hemmed dresses. The list goes on and on. She gets paid for the stuff she has to buy, but it is her way of saying to people, "I love you and don't mind doing this."

She has always scouted the edge of the crowd and befriended the "odd ones" She has always gone beyond what is expected to make others feel welcome.

Now, mix in with all this a willingness to mix it up with anyone who she feels is taking advantage. I know it keeps me on my toes. She is kind and tough, soft and unyielding, challenging and a respite, maddening and healing.

She is my bride, my heart, my soul. This would be one dim place indeed without her.

Happy Birthday, Bev. I love you. Always have..always will.

Godspeed to all those who were captured early in the love wars.
Don

1 comment:

Julie P. said...

She is quite a lady!