Thursday, March 22, 2012

5 and 2

But it isn't the scorecard. It is the piling up of blessings that prompts this blog. Yesterday we added our 5th grandchild and 2nd granddaughter. She came to us in fine shape, all parts intact and working. Her momma is now recovering and dealing with the physical pain of the procedure, and rejoicing in the knowledge that this little red-faced girl is healthy and sweet and finally here.

It was not until the evening that I got to hold her, watch her for a moment and finish the prayer that started several months ago. Praying that she would be healthy and sound, that the pregnancy would be uneventful (which it was until Monday when her momma fell walking into school, all was fine)

But the prayer went far beyond that. I have discovered that life tends to throw us hardballs that we sometimes can't duck. The constant companion of grandparents is worry, for parents it is guilt. Worry because we know what life can do to us, guilt because we did not prepare those gifted to us in the best way possible. But I have about decided that grandparent's greatest role is to provide perspective. The fierce fighter in the kid has great potential for wide ranging change because of the very things that drive his parents crazy. The gentle nature of others will be taken advantage of, but it is our only hope for a compassionate society. The song and dance of a little girl's heart will be broken, but it is only through her dancing and singing will we catch a glimpse of angels. And the little tyke who has such an inventive and infectious sense of humor will have to find a way to deal with the seriousness of life, but he will bring the healing power of laughter to all of us.

So what will this new life bring to us? Will she be serious, will she be thoughtful, will she be caring, will she bring comfort? I don't know. These blessings tend to create a life of their own. They tend to find their own way. It is up to us to provide a trail for them to follow.

And so I wonder about her. Will she ever love me as much as I love her at this very moment? The other four have created their own rooms in my heart. They all moved into my thoughts and prayers, they took the best places and have made the house of my heart a better place. The room for Lola is now being furnished. It will take months and years to finish the job. I pray that God grants me the longevity to meet the unknown ones that will be their mates. I don't care if they have to wheel me into the church for the last one, I would like to be there. But if I am not, I hope that whatever I have been able to pass on to them will be of value, will be treasured.

Lola came to us yesterday with her little red face, her thatch of black hair, and her fingers wrapped around our hearts. Captured again by someone whom I don't even know...yet.

Godspeed out there. As I mentioned in the culture's front porch called Facebook. Children are the rainbows of our lives, grandkids are the pot of gold.
Don

2 comments:

Julie P. said...

What beautiful words for Lola and your grandkids. They are lucky to have you and lucky that you share this. One day when they are older they will look back and see just how much they were loved!

Emily Bowmer said...

Congratulations Granddaddy!! I got to see a picture of beautiful Lola on Jordan's blog. She is gorgeous!! I can see why you are already in love. What a sweet blessing to add to your life. Grandpas are a special breed, and granddaughters are blessed by them. Enjoy your newest addition!! Blessings to you!

Emily