Thursday, June 9, 2011

He is Everywhere

We have made the pilgrimage to Amarillo for the my eldest grandson's birthday. We drove out with my youngest daughter and her son, my bride, and myself. It is not what one could describe as "scenic". Unless you like flat, brown, and boring. But the invention of CD players in cars and all the great animated classics (Toy Story, Cars, and Incredibles) the ride seems to move along at a snail's pace, and not like a glacier.

We arrived and unloaded. Then spent the afternoon and evening unwinding, getting dinner prepared, and visiting. By 10PM I was cooked, done. So off to bed I went.

This morning I was up before the herd was stirring. So I poured a mug of coffee, properly doctored with creamer and went outside to enjoy the cool morning.

What started out a reflection was turned again into a small, quiet moment of praise. The chorus ringing through my head, "I exalt thee, I exalt thee, I exalt thee Oh Lord." The music is wonderful, the words a great calm on my heart. The ever-present cool, high-country breeze only making the morning deep and quiet. There is something unchanging about the high plains, a sort of flowing constant, and ever-present.

It was then that I realized that God is either everywhere, or we carry Him with us wherever we go. I have sat next to lakes and watched the sun emerge over the far shore and dapple the water. There have been times on the side of mountains with friends from long ago where the air was thin and pure..and He was present. There have been hotel rooms far from home on work trips.. and He was there. Mission trips in foreign lands knowing that the work that day would be hard, with sore muscles and peaceful heart.. and He was there. There have been hospitals and dark nights, funeral homes, and empty tombs..and He was there. He apparently is everywhere, because I have found in those moments that I am just as apt to close my heart and not feel Him near me at all. I do not believe that our inability to fully understand will keep us from Him. I believe it our ability to ignore Him is what will doom us. You see in this moment in my life where it feels that I have been wandering in the wilderness He is there when I open the eyes to my heart. As A grandaddy I watch my grandkids with joy, and humor, and concern, and compassion. It makes my heart leap when they jump into my arms and acknowledge our special bond. There is nothing that sinks my heart like being ignored by my grandkids. I think this is a close feeling that God carries for His children.

Anyway, a few moments well spent this morning.

Godspeed, there is nothing like a cool morning, anticipation of the day, and God being near.
Don

No comments: