Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Book Ideas

There are a ton of ideas floating around in my head. Some come and go, others float around for quite some time, others get stuck permanently in the gray matter. One of these ideas that is developing pressure in my head is the idea of a book..or at least something longer than the 800 or so words I slide into these posts. You may wonder why I haven't written one before. Well, it comes down to impulse for me. I write when I want to, when something compels me to write, when I am bored, when I find something funny or meaningful in my world. But there are some ideas that just won't go away. Below are a few of them.

"Don't Drink the Kool-Aid"
This would be a book based on my observations about business from someone who has never been ultimately in charge. I am actually working on this one. My friend Doug has been tasked with keeping me accountable for writing. So far he has done a good job. He has made me feel guilty for not writing anything worthwhile. My first attempt was a dismal failure (my words, not his) His face was a study in being a good friend, an honest critic, and a supporter. But it was simply an abysmal attempt. So I am working on funny stories that I will make into the chapter titles: Reality is always your Friend; Don't Breath Your Own Air; Lean Into the Wind; You Can Tell Me What To Do, or How, But Not Both (chapter title is too long)
Of course I could always write about the things I know best..Doggin' It; my version of efficiency.

"30/50"
This would be a relationship book. You know, the marriage thing? The premise would be that there are a number of us out here in the world that are about 50 years old and have been married about 30 years. I have talked to all sorts of people about this moment in life and my conclusion is that there is a galactic battle going on in these marriages. Reality has set in and the fallout can be tough. Titles would be in the nature of: The Mirror is Lying To Me Again; I'm Talked Out; Where is My..; and then my favorite chapter..I Shouldn't HAVE to Get Lucky!
This book will be written from one who is clueless and incautious and untrained..me.

"Raising God-Fearing, Well-Adjusted, Mature Kids: A Man's Guide to Child Rearing"
Family help book. Problem is that I only have one chapter...Marry Well.

There are dozens of others. But with my attention span and the permission I got from Meyers-Briggs (being an ENFP, strong in all categories)for being "forward thinking" There is a chance I will have to take my 800 word blog posts and turn them into a book. Of course the problem there is that you have already read them all.....right?

Then there is the problem of finding a publisher who gets my humor.
Hey, there is always self-publishing, which just sounds like self-help/self-medication/self-ish.

Godspeed to the budding authors. The titles are easy, the message is tough.
Don

No comments: