Tuesday, May 3, 2011

200

This is the 200th post since my bride set me up with a blog site. I know some of you are thinking this is probably 199 too many. But this has been a great activity for me. It gives me a place to journal, a place to vent, a place to observe, and a place to share. There have been some posts that I look back on and wonder what I was thinking at the time. There have also been a few that I know what I was thinking, but it makes me wonder why. A few posts have come dangerously close to being deleted, but in the spirit of emotional honesty I let them stand, good or bad, it was what was going on in my head at the time. I never claimed to be consistent.

There have been a few favorites, though. The deer crashing into my truck. The news that my son and D-i-L were expecting our precious Isaac, news received in the outback of New Mexico. Most of the posts surrounding Lincoln's birth and surgery.

My insight on life is usually sharpened by trauma. I'm not sure why this is so, but it puts my head in the "God wondering" mode. I have become, by nature, a contemplative, reading and thinking and meditating on the spiritual questions that seem to linger. Discernment (wisdom) is a product of suffering, not sure why, but this seems to be a theme in my writing.

But what astounds me the most is that you folks out there seem to keep coming back. You can't imagine how humbling it is that you continue to read, even when I know the writing is not particularly good or the insights very unique. It has been my stance that I write for me, but it overwhelms me that you read and respond. By the way, I get about as many responses via email as I do on the blog. That's fine, keep me in line, keep me challenged, that is what makes this fun. This post is to those out there who follow and respond, or not, but continue to read. Thank you.

So for a little bit of response. Should I change the way the blog looks? Over two years and the page still looks the same. I love the picture of my bride and my grandson. The metaphor of a journey is still the strongest in my life, so it will stay. Let me know what you think. Also, what were some of your favorites? Most of the folks I talk to just say they don't know what to say, but they tell me when something strikes a chord. I have one dear friend who keeps telling me to write a book...working on it. I did tell her to take all my posts, bind them, and sell the 20 or so copies that would sell and give the money to my bride when I am gone.

Thanks for the venue to write. Thanks especially to my bride for setting this up, it is the highlight of my week when I sit down to write. Thanks to all of you who follow.

Godspeed on this crazy journey we call life.
Don

1 comment:

Gay said...

My suggestion, too, is to get your book out there! Every one of your posts touches me in some way; I laugh, I cry, I ponder. You write in such a way that touches everyone's hearts. Keep em coming, and I'm waiting to download the book from Amazon. Love you, Don!