Tuesday, March 8, 2011

1 Year

Today is a grey, overcast, drizzly day in north Texas. It matches my mood almost exactly. My bride has spent most of the morning asking me what is wrong. And my answer is "nothing" or "everything" I haven't been able to put my finger on the cause of the malaise. This is not particularly a case of being sad, or mad, just blah.

I think it may have to do with the 1 year anniversary of the job loss. Who would have thought it would be this long? This is different world we live in. Skill, ability, drive, integrity do you no good if the powers-that-be decide to hoard their revenue instead of invest it in people and initiative. So I am struggling with the longest stretch of unemployment, or underemployment in my life. And it doesn't seem to be brightening.

The two companies I am working with each have grave flaws in their approach. When I try to communicate the reasons for the slow start, they get really defensive. So they refuse to listen, and refuse to adjust. It leaves me with a slowly degrading picture... fade to grey.

But I refuse to quit. There is something in me that drives me to try and make it work. Their lack of integrity, their lack of knowledge can't be the reason to quit. Something will have to come along, the winds of change will have to blow again. I have too many years left to give it up. I am as anxious to work today as I was 20 years ago.

So pray for a break in the clouds, both environmentally and emotionally.

Godspeed. Thank goodness I stand faithful to one who does not require constant merriment. He understands because we have spent a great deal of time together this year.
Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Don,
I can't believe it's been a year... And what a year it's been. You would have won a bet you made a year ago about one of your recent last employers...