Monday, June 28, 2010

And Then There Were Four..

This past Saturday at 5:57PM Mr. Isaac Jolly made his way into the world. Like all healthy babies he came into the world kicking and screaming. I haven't heard of many who come in calm and collected.

My son made the comment that he may be the most "prayed for" baby ever. I'm not sure of that. We have spent enormous amounts of time praying for Eli, and Miss Phoebe and the month in NICU by Lincoln tested all of us. But I will say that there may have been a lot more prayer getting Isaac "started." But whatever the debate, there is no debate that we are thrilled to see him here and healthy.

What we haven't been able to prepare my son and D-i-L for is the constant fatigue that now becomes a part of your life. It is almost like you can't remember what "rested" felt like. I told my M-i-L some 30-odd years ago that I think we get the same amount of sleep, it just happens at your desk, a stop light, in the shower, etc. All of sudden this charade that each adult controls their own destiny comes crumbling down. Now life is dictated by a 6lb/11oz, 18" bundle of squeaks, leaks, stained clothes. And he has no sense of the clock. For a time it all revolves around him. Rest, clean clothes, gaming, reading, movies, eating out..all take a back seat.

But the boy is precious. I got to see the wonder in my son's face as he cradled this new miracle in his arms. I could almost read his thoughts, the joy, the concern, the new responsibility is never as acute as it is at that moment of realization, "This boy is mine, to mold, care for, to protect, to grow." Stunning in the awareness, overwhelming in the immediacy. But he will learn that this little bitty boy is far tougher than any of us can imagine.

So we almost can field a basketball team, although genetics are against most of them.

Godspeed, the journey is crowding up nicely.
Don

2 comments:

Edwin Ward said...

God bless all of your wonderful family,Grandpa! I thought I was pretty patient until my first son came along, but he taught me a lot.... My dad used to say some of his favorite Bible words were, "It came to pass...." Your son will appreciate that more and more too!

Anonymous said...

Congratualtions! Grandparent-grandchild love is truly a wonderous thing, isn't it?

So happy for your son and daughter-in-law.

L.