Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sheffa..The Best Earth Can Offer

This is one of those travel weeks that tend to take a lot out of me. From DFW to LAX, very bumpy ride, followed by a very bumpy meeting with a customer. Then a drive through a rainstorm that would make Noah wince. Followed by a flight from LAX to Seattle that was bumpier than the ride the day before. I'm a pretty calm flier, but this was rough enough to make me uneasy. About halfway through the choppy part I realized that the up and down movement didn't bother me nearly as much as the side to side, I believe the pilots refer to it as "yawing" Severe enough it can create yelling, but that is another story.

On the leg from LAX to Seattle, American put me on a "partner" airline..Alaska. Well, I am an Executive Platinum flier with American, but am relegated to a "no-body" with Alaskan. In other words, I sat in the back. So crammed in on a completely full flight, having missed lunch, I bought the "picnic pack." It had little nuggets of beef jerky (I think) and a package of "salt and peppered cashews" (plain would have been great) and a package of Sheffa. Hmm, what is Sheffa? So while I ate the cashews and beef nodules I read the package about Sheffa.

Here is the first paragraph on the back..."Sheffa is an ancient word for abundance. It's also the sublime energy that moves through all creation, Earth-supporting and nourishing, giving in a boundless flow to all beings. Sheffa is what food should be-a wealth of enjoyment and sustenance."

Really? May the Force be with us.

I thought that this is the kind of tree-hugging, sappy, air-headed, worn jeans, bra-less kind of drivel would you expect from Alaska. I imagined either the writer being a 26-year-old from Juneau, or a 56-year-old executive drop out with a pony-tail and ear-ring. Then I looked at the distributor of the product..
Sheffa Foods Inc
New York, NY
A product of? want to guess? Israel. It is Kosher, says so right on the pack.

It contained ground chickpeas (no idea what these are) roasted corn (think beer nuts at the local bar, or so I've heard) pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (no salt) sunflower oil, spices (unspecified) and sea salt (as opposed to regular salt, but not much of either). It is vegan-wheat free-gluten free-no GMO-no trans Fat-no cholesterol, and I might add very little flavor.

Two things I learned from this:
1. bring a book on board..as you can tell I had nothing to read for over two hours
2. pack an emergency Snickers bar, peanuts, caramel, milk chocolate..all the major food groups.

Want to bet I'm the only guy on the flight that read the incredibly small print about Sheffa?

Godspeed..or Sheffa..or feel the Force. What have we gotten ourselves into?
Don

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don, Thanks for the card. I so didn't know you were so articulate. I am going to have to keep a close eye on you now.
How's beverly? We are well. I am traveling SC now. Woo who... 8 states now! Certainly not by choice.
Tom T.

Jordan said...

I think you need to download some movies onto your laptop and get a good pair of headphones. Throw in some Snickers and peanut butter crackers and you've got yourself a travel emergency kit.

I love you. See you soon.