Friday, January 30, 2009

Astonished Reverence

While reading another chapter from a Dallas Willard book, the phrase "astonished reverence" just jumped off the page at me. And like a tickle in the back of my throat, I can't get it out of my mind.

Now, mind you, this has been one of those weeks we all dread. Brutal travel schedule (late nights on the road) a major customer going through "re-org" and all the stress of trying to negotiate a deal that leaves all of us healthy, stress in the office, missing a "bad weather day" with my bride because I was on the road, this was one of those weeks to make you rethink this entire career deal.

And all the while, ruminating on the concept of astonished reverence. The obvious reference is "worship" but if you have a limited view of worship, the term "astonished reverence" does not get fully explained. Then it occurred to me that the moments of worship can happen anywhere and at any time. Sunrise from a deer blind, bundled close to a sleeping grandchild, watching a daughter dance her "first dance", watching a son catch a touchdown pass, embraced by a loving wife at the end of a long tough week, watching any of my kids hug their spouses. Astonished by the emotions of unconditional love, astonished by the sheer good luck of being in the right place at the right moment. Wide-eyed astonishment that this moment of worship has dropped into your life with no planning or implementation on your part. To be the recipient of this grandeur without any warning at all.

Which leads to the second word, reverence. To stand in the presence of this moment and realize you are the full recipient and totally unprepared and perhaps totally unworthy. There is no way to fully understand reverence without the quality of humility. To be stunned into total thankfulness with no rationalization at all.

And even as I write these words, they still don't explain fully what I am trying to say. The closest I can come is to reflect on the birth of my children and grandchildren. Words fail as you try to comprehend the enormity of the moment. There simply isn't anything to fill the space except..astonished reverence.

Words fail me, except the words mentioned Astonished Reverence. Indeed.

Godspeed

Don

2 comments:

Gay said...

I just copied this entry and sent it to almost everyone in my address book, along with a link to your blog. What an apt, awesome description of what can blow you away at the most surprising moments. Thank you.

Than said...

What a fantastic thought! One thing I would add to your list of experiences that invoke this feeling: sharing the Lord's Supper with your community of believers -- each man and woman and child together forming the image of God.