Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Aunt Anna

 Almost 50 years ago I met Beverly, the girl who would be my bride. We met on campus at Abilene Christian University and have been together ever since. She was and is and will always be my world. 

Early on in our dating I was taken to Aunt Anna and Uncle Ken's house. It was only a block from the college. Having grown up in Abilene, I had driven past it numerous times without any thought that my life would be included in the lives of the people who lived there. So very early I was introduced to Beverly's  extended clan . 

I had actually met Uncle Ken due to his being the registrar of this small local college. He had advised me on a degree plan (sorry Uncle Ken, it was probably a waste of your time) he should have just given me a handshake and said, "Good luck". Aunt Anna simply drew me in to their world and made me a spot. She would cut my hair, feed us, laugh and tell me stories of the other parts of the family. It was in her presence that we found a safe and warm place. 

For several semesters we would end up over there for a Friday or Saturday night. I was working at a local machine shop from midnight to 7AM, shower and hit the morning classes, study and nap, then as the relationship grew deeper take Beverly out for dinner or more likely to the "Rasco's". More times than not I would snooze on the floor while the Aunt Anna and Beverly would visit and Uncle Ken would sit in his recliner and "do degree plans" until it was time to roust me up and take Beverly to the dorm and I would head to work. There was a lot of laughter, some singing, great food, and advice so subtly dispensed that I did not see it until years later. 

So our marriage had a healthy dose of what it looked like to open a home and hearts to people who were simply wanting a place to rest and visit and have no demands. Aunt Anna made that place happen. 

Over the years I have discovered that we were not unique, but she made us feel that way. It was with a twinge of jealousy that I found others from other years before us and others since from my kids to my grandson after us that she took in. If there is such a thing as a crazy cat lady, Aunt Anna was a crazy people lady. Always gracious, always good humored, always wanting everyone to get along ( a tall task for that side of the family).

The world is a little more empty now with her gone. Someone dimmed the lights just a little. It seems when someone like her passes, we lose more then their company, we lose the impact of their life. She was one of the best of us. It is my hope that, in us, the world can still experience the gift of grace, dignity, humor that she represented. I know I will miss the way at the end of each visit she would hold my face kiss me on the cheek and say, "Oh Don, thank you so much for coming by." I am so grateful that I "came by". 

Godspeed Aunt Anna. I am not sure how this heaven thing works, but I hope you and Uncle Ken can now enjoy the earned right to be together without pain, or suffering, or any indignity. I know we will miss you here. 

Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is an end of an era. Aunt Anna will be sorely missed.