Friday, August 15, 2014

Trust

This morning I got up early and drove to the gym to work out. My bride stayed home nursing a surgically repaired shoulder and getting some extra zzz's in as well.
The workout was normal and went out to the car, and turned the key, and someone strangled a cat for a moment before I realized the car had apparently expired and I had listened to the death rattle of the old Blazer.
Well this is new. I don't carry my cell phone to the gym (don't know, so don't ask). The car is dead. And the phone in the gym apparently is wired to the alarm system, so no one can use the phone when the manager is not there. No one in the gym at that hour of the morning. So I sat and pondered my options while cussing out the old Blazer. Then I remembered there was a donut store around the corner in the same shopping center. Does anyone else see the irony in me having to go to the donut store for help after working out?
So I trudged to the store, asked to borrow their phone which turned out to be her personal cell phone (all the directions and prompts were in Spanish) and called my bride on our home phone because I could not remember her cell phone number. After all, it is just a button with her name on the menu, so who memorizes all those numbers? We do not use our home phone for anything but renting Pay-per-view on cable, and keeping Indian call centers open for telephone solicitation.
My bride did not pick up which is normal. But as I reversed my trudging to the defunct Blazer it occurred to me that there was something of a spiritual parallel here.
She might take a while to get the message, the girl is a world-class sleeper. She may have been in the shower, she could be in the other room making coffee. But I knew she would show up. Why? Because she always has.
You see this is kind of like praying. We shoot a prayer heavenward and hear no response, but we know He will show up. It may not be in the moment that we impatiently want, but he will show up. Because He always has.
The other comfort I had was knowing that if I was gone too long she would come looking for me. I knew she would know the time frame of my journey and when I didn't reappear at the right time, she would get in the truck and drive the route and all the alternative routes until she found me. She always has.
He will do the same. When we don't "show up" for a time, He will come looking for us. He will search every place He knows we hang out in, no matter how disgusting or inconvenient. The reason I know this is because He always has.
It is a marvelous blessing to be able to make a call, leave a message, and live in the full confidence that the one who we trust will show up.
Godspeed, I hope He picks up when you call, but if not, wait until He arrives. It completes the confidence that we know is justified. He always has, He always will.
Don

No comments: