Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Birthdays and Reflections

Birthdays and reflections go together like peas and carrots, as our nationally favorite challenged person once said. This may be a trend as we get older. I discovered that when I say that I am 57, it doesn't even make a ripple in my psyche, but to write it down is to understand that the number is far larger than I feel it should be. How did this age catch me so quick? I suspect somewhere in the next 57 I will be launched into the "great uncounting" But man, having now written it a few times in this paragraph, it sure looks like a big number.

Here are a few things I have noticed at this age, though.

Something hurts all the time, knees, back, teeth, feet, shoulder. Instead of giving Tylenol a run at my liver, I just put up with it with as little whining as possible. Probably more whining than I realize if you were to ask my bride, but less than some.

I cannot tell how old anyone else is. Young people all look younger than my kids, who it now occurs to me are not all that young either. My dad said one time he realized he was old when he looked at his kids and realized they were all middle-aged. I took some offense to that at the time..a compliment now. Guys my age look either 40 or 70, I am reluctant to take a good hard look in the mirror to see which category I fall into. By the way, when looking the mirror, I look at pretty specific things like teeth (all there?) where is hair growing it shouldn't, any skin spots need to be inspected? I never look at the entire picture. It is called focus.

My bride is as dear to me as she ever was. I can't see her without the patina of love and devotion. I'm sure she has aged, but I can't see it. She still holds my heart captive and makes my pants go crazy (my kids just signed off)

Life is pretty good, still able to do about whatever I want to. No major bumps in the road. Can dress like I want to, and dress myself. I can still work and work out. I can still love and be loved.

Godspeed to the other birthday folks out there. Hope there are enough in the future to say "I love you" to all the right folks.
Don

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always complain that you don't think we read your blog, then you go and post something like this.

Sheesh... where's the bleach... my brain needs a cleansing.

-- the Middle One

Anonymous said...

Ha! that was funny. as someone your age, I had to laugh out loud as I thought about what your kids would do when they read this post. Your son did not disappoint. :)