Saturday, July 3, 2010

Quiet Time

Saturday mornings may be the quietest moment in the week. No school buses on the street. No one headed for work. Dogs are let out late. Calm, quiet, still. It has become my favorite moment.

This morning I awoke at 5:45 and just listened to nothing. The only sounds were the house ticking and clicking, birds just beginning to stir, bride's soft breathing as she sleeps, and the thoughts tumbling around in my head. I used to hate these moments. For some reason they made me edgy, anxious about getting going.

Over the past several years, though, I have developed quite a love for them. I think the application of spiritual disciplines of silence and solitude have taught me that God's quiet voice is best heard when the rest of the world can be shut out for a moment. When asked by my bride or my kids what I'm doing in these moments, the best I can come up with is "thinking." But that really doesn't catch all the flavor of what is going on. I'm thinking, but I'm listening as well, introspecting (Is this a real word?) taking inventory, letting my mind settle for a moment.

I catch myself doing this in a lot of places. Driving gives me great time to sit and ponder the quirks of my world. My bride doesn't care much for it when she is in the car. Sitting in silence with no radio or conversation is not her idea of togetherness. So I have to remind myself that when with others I need to be aware of their comfort zones. My kids don't really get it either. So if everyone in the world around you doesn't enjoy it, it is best to realize they aren't the odd ones.

But this morning is great. So many things/events/ people to think about. New grandson, new opportunities in the career world, shifting spiritual insights are all floating around and giving me a real joy over the quiet time. My nature will not let this sit for long, but for this moment the journey is quiet and calm and restful.

Godspeed, take a moment, let God talk for a while, but He speaks softly.
Don

No comments: